Vol. 35, No. 10 October, 2011
THE FAITHFULNESS OF GOD
By Dr. George Mills
“It is of the LORD’S mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning, great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul, therefore will I hope in Him.”(Lam. 3:22-24).
In the Book of Lamentations the prophet saw only destruction. His homeland had been destroyed. Waste and ruin was everywhere. The Temple had been destroyed. Jerusalem was no longer the “Joy of the whole earth.” “Why such waste?” He thought. “Why would God allow such? After all, we are the people of God. We are his chosen. He is supposed to be on our side. Just look…see the ruin. There has never been such devastation. WHERE IS GOD?” WHY DIDN’T HE DO SOMETHING TO STOP THIS? And the people that pass by, they are so unconcerned. “Is it nothing to you all ye that pass by?” (1:12) Then Jeremiah began to remember that God had said, over and over again that if the nation did not repent, turn from their idols and wickedness, judgment is coming. King
Nebuchadnezzar and his army from Babylon will destroy the cities and take the people captive. God had been patient. His warning after warning had been ignored. The nation did not repent. Now, judgment has come just as God had said. Now, in the midst of it all the prophet has to confess that even though there is ruin everywhere, God has been FAITHFUL to His Word. “This is just what God said it would be.” “GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS” He declares. Not only do we see God’s faithfulness in the good things, we also see His faithfulness in the things that are not so good. He is true to His Word.
We can never count the ways in which we see the faithfulness of God. Let us see just a few..
1. GOD IS FAITHFUL TO HIS CREATION. “God hath in these last days spoken unto us by His Son, whom He hath appointed heir of all things, BY WHOM ALSO HE MADE THE WORLDS. Who being in the brightness of His Glory and the express image of His person and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high.” (Heb. 1:1-3). “And He is before all things and by Him (Christ) all things consist.” (Col. 1:17). Christ is the maker and preserver of all creation. By Him all things are held together. He is FAITHFUL to His creation. Everything works as it was designed to work. This day will be 24 hours long. Each hour will consist of 60 minutes, each minute, 60 seconds. Today, the tides will rise and fall twice. The earth, the moon, the stars, the sun, the planets, the stars will remain in their designed orbits, because of the Faithfulness of God. Can you imagine the untold disaster in the heavens were it not for the faithfulness of God? The seasons will be right on schedule. Global warming? Global cooling? will have to obey the rules as set down by the Great Creator. He is in control! God knows all about world conditions, population growths, and yes, “He has His way in the whirlwind.” (Nah. 1:3). God has a plan and purpose for His creation and He is and will be faithful to that plan. And yes, this earth is equipped to heal itself. So many of the things we call “natural disaster” are in reality the earth cleansing itself as designed by the Great Creator.
2. GOD IS FAITHFUL TO HIS REVELATION. “Forever O LORD Thy Word is settled in Heaven”(Psa 119:89).
The Gift of the ages is the Gift of God’s Word. He is Faithful to that Word. May I share with you two things about His REVELATION…
(A) INSPIRATION “Originating with God and coming through man.” “For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man, but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.” (2Pet. 1:21).”All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof. For correction, for instruction in righteousness.” (2Tim. 3:16). In inspiration, God spoke to man, and man wrote down what God said. I do not believe that God expected those original manuscripts to last through the ages. So that brings us to the second word…
(B) PRESERVATION. God has used men through the ages to carefully copy manuscripts as the manuscripts aged. Through the years, this has been a very careful process. Men carefully copied, re- read, for accuracy, and burned old manuscripts, and circulated the new among the churches, thus bringing God’s Word to the ages. God’s great miracle is His work of preservation.(Psa. 12:6-7). So, today we can rest assured that which we have PRESERVED is that which He INSPIRED, without error, addition, or deletion. Today there are over 5,600 copies of ancient manuscripts preserved for mankind. What we have on earth is that which is settled in heaven. Now, do not be deceived by the dozens and dozens of new “versions” on the market today. Publishers of these “versions” advertise that these come from the oldest two manuscripts. This is not right! The two manuscripts that gave birth to this flood of “versions” were found in the mid 19th century,(1844-1849). One had been stored in the Vatican library since 1475, and the other had been kept in St. Catherine’s Monastery at Mount Sinai for centuries. These two manuscripts, I believe, were probably the work of a man by the name of Eusebius. He was authorized by Emperor Constantine in AD 325 to create 50 manuscripts patterned after the writings of Origen. The early church rejected these manuscripts. Too bad that educated men of this age have not done the same. Every reader of this publication is, by now, aware of the fact that we hold to the authority of the Word of God as given by God in the old King James Bible. As I have stated, there are over 5,600 manuscripts that are the basis of the Received Text from which we get the King James Bible.
In the other text from which all the new “versions” come, there are TWO MANUSCRIPTS. These were born in Egypt and God gave warnings to stay out of Egypt!
3. GOD IS FAITHFUL IN SALVATION. He is faithful to the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Jesus gave His life on the Cross as full payment for our sins. “The Lord hath laid upon Him (Jesus) the iniquity of us all.” (Isa. 53:6)
God will not turn away, or refuse anyone who will receive the Gift of His son, Jesus Christ. It matters not what your lifestyle or background might have been. It matters not how immoral you may be, God offers His free Salvation to WHOSOEVER WILL call upon Him. Christ did not die for a chosen few, or for an elected few, He died for the sin of the whole world. “While we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.”(Ro. 5:6-8)
“But as many as received Him to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name.” (Jn. 1:12). Don’t let anyone try to tell you that you cannot be saved, and go to Heaven when you die. God is FAITHFUL to that sacrifice of Christ.
4. GOD IS FAITHFUL IN THE TIME OF TEMPTATION AND TESTING.
“There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man, BUT GOD IS FAITHFUL who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able, but will, with the temptation, also make a way of escape that ye may be able to bear it.” (1Cor. 10:13). What tempts and tries you is not unique. We all have the same temptations. A meaningful daily Prayer life, a steady diet of the Word of God (KJB) and fellowship with other believers are valuable resources for every believer. Temptations arise when we are idle. There is much to do in the service of our lord. Too much for us to do to be tempted. Anyway, GOD IS FAITHFUL. He will make a way when temptations and testings come.
5. GOD IS FAITHFUL IN OUR SUPPLICATIONS.
“Be careful for nothing, but in everything by PRAYER and SUPPLICATION with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.”
PRAYER is our petition to God on behalf of others.
SUPPLICATION is bringing our personal needs to God. He has promised to hear and answer prayer. He may not answer when, or how we ask, but He will always answer for our best and for His Glory. Every believer should have a history of the times when we prayed for something or for someone and that prayer was answered. “Call unto me, AND I WILL ANSWER THEE, and shew thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not.” (Jer. 33:3).
6. GOD IS FAITHFUL IN CONSUMMATION. Meaning to bring all things to their ultimate end. Our God knows the end from the beginning and all things in between. He works on His schedule. He warned us not to try to figure it all out, or to set dates, or to try to determine signs and seasons. Just about when we think we have it all figured out, we find out how wrong we were. In the fullness of time, He CREATED this universe, (Gen. 1-2). In the fullness of time, God sent His Son to be born by way of the virgin birth, (Lk. 1:26-35). In the fullness of time Christ presented Himself as their Messiah, Mt. 21:1-6, Zech. 9:9). In the fullness of time, Christ died on the cross for our sins, (Gal. 4:4-5). In the fullness of time, Christ was resurrected, ascended into Heaven to be our Eternal High Priest, and in the fullness of time, He will return and bring all things to completion as He said. Now, don’t try to figure out the things that are known to God alone!
He is coming, in time, on time, take His own from time to eternity.
Just remember, we serve a FAITHFUL GOD. FAITHFUL in every respect. One man predicted Christ’s coming to be May 21, 2011, and he was wrong! Many were hurt by his prediction. And so it has been through ages past…all wrong!
May our Dear Lord Jesus find us ready for His coming, working for His coming, and praying for His coming as did John in Rev. 22:20, “Even so, come Lord Jesus.” “Behold I come quickly and my reward is with me.”(Rev. 22:12).
THINK ABOUT IT…
Satan said to the first Adam, “Trust me.” (Gen. 3:1-7). Adam listened to him and you see the mess we are in today. The Last Adam (Christ) says, “Trust me.” (1Cor. 15:45). And everyone who listens and obeys is brought out of that horrible pit and placed upon the ROCK.
AND THE WORLD IS A WILDERNESS… It is no friend to the Christian. But Christ is, “Therefore be ye also ready for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.” (Mt 24:44).
THE FAITHFULNESS OF GOD
By Pastor George Mills
“They are new every morning, Great is Thy Faithfulness.” (Lam. 3:23)
Consider the moon and stars in the skies,
God’s Faithfulness is there.
Consider creation at morning sunrise,
His Faithfulness is everywhere.
The seasons go to return again,
His Faithfulness declares.
God still hears the cry of pain,
Of the faintest, childish prayers.
Temptations often rise to try me,
But God’s faithfulness is there.
And in each test His Grace is by me,
And each burden He does bear.
And all through life down here below,
God’s Faithfulness is here.
And in Heaven at last He will gladly show,
That His Faithfulness was always near.
He is Faithful to His Holy Word,
Each promise is there to claim,
Faithful, is our Loving Lord,
Faithful, is His Great Name.
1. What Prayer is. Today there are many “How to” lessons on Prayer. Simply stating it, Prayer is talking to God. If Christ is your Saviour, God is your Father. Talk to Him!
2. What Prayer involves. Prayer involves praying in Jesus’ Name. He alone is our access to God.
3. What prayer does. “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.” We don’t have to dial some “800” number, or some ‘religious headquarters. Just pray, God hears!
TEEN TALKS THAT MATTER
By Ashley Stevens
For some teenagers today, the hardest thing for them to overcome and face is the pressure that is brought on by their peers. A teenager has to make the decision whether they want to be surrounded by Christian friends or the friends who may lead them into a life of temptations and trials. God wants us to have good and Godly friends who want to see His light shine through us and they want us to make wise decisions. However, in some point in a young Christian’s life, they are going to face peer pressure. Whether it’s at school or in an activity that they take part in, they are going to have to make the decision to either stand up for what they believe in or fall into the temptation that Satan has brought into their lives through their peers. Many young Christian’s testimony is tested in schools all over the country. The Bible and Prayer are not allowed in the public school system anymore. When these young Christians are put into an atmosphere that is very different from the atmosphere of a Christian home or Church, they will have to face many temptations. In the world that we live in today, teenagers have access to alcohol, drugs, and other things that are clearly wrong. We need to make sure that we make a stand for Christ. Let’s not fall into peer pressure and take that one sip of alcohol or be tempted to buckle to the temptation to use drugs. Instead, take that one step and draw these teenagers closer to God, and share the Gospel with them. If we had this more in our society today, we would be living in a whole different world than we are right now. So, make the choice. Are you going to stand up for Christ, or fall into peer pressure?
May God bless your life each and every day.
Until next time….. Ashley Stevens.
FROM MY HEART
By Mildred Mills
A DECISION TO CHOOSE
Life is made up of decisions and the decisions we make determine the path our life will take. God made it very clear in His Word that the very first decision we should make in our life is to choose His Son Jesus as our Lord and Saviour and determine in our heart to serve Him all the days of our life. This is the most important decision we will ever make.
“Choose you this day whom ye will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land ye dwell, but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”(Joshua 24:15). Make a choice, choose Jesus and make a decision to follow Him all the days of your life.
I have decided to follow Jesus. No turning back, no turning back!
“For whosoever shall call upon the name of the lord shall be saved.” (Ro. 10:13). “”And him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.” (Jn. 6:37).
“I choose Jesus, when I need a Friend,
What I need I know that He will send.
I have proved Him, good and true is He,
I choose Jesus, He is the best for me.”
AND THE WORLD IS A WILDERNESS..It is no friend to the Christian. And while the world is no friend, let us be the friend who points to that Friend who says, “Ye are my friends.”
WANDERING THROUGH THE WILDERNESS…
Answers, comments and questions.
Due to the nature of this Publication we receive inquiries from various places on diverse subjects. We try to answer questions and give any help we can. We keep within the three-fold purpose of this ministry as listed on the back page of each edition. We will not carry on a debate through this publication. That does not fall within our purpose. We state our position on every subject. We are Fundamental, Conservative, Independent Baptist and hold to the historic doctrines of the Christian Faith. Many of these are listed on the back page of every edition. What we believe is not debatable. I believe in the imminent return of Christ for His Church in the event commonly known as the Rapture of the Church. The word “imminent” meaning, “ready to take place at any moment.” According to the Scriptures (KJB) Christ can come for His Church at any moment. He could have returned at anytime in history past. That’s His business. Nothing prevents, or is to precede His return in the rapture. There are several teachings today especially in the “Charismatic renewal movement” that do away with His imminent return in the Rapture. Just to list a couple of these teachings…
1. Some are saying that “CHRIST CANNOT RETURN FOR HIS CHURCH UNTIL THE CHURCH IS WITHOUT SPOT OR WRINKLE.” This is taken from Ephesians 5:27, “That He might present it to Himself a glorious church not having spot or wrinkle.” The teaching today is that “we must learn to lay aside our doctrinal differences and come together as one. One world, one church.” May I say that there is not a single Bible Doctrine that we can lay aside for the sake of unity. There is not a single Biblical doctrine we hold to that is debatable. One day our Lord will present to Himself a Glorious Church without spot or wrinkle, but that will not happen down here. There are several reasons why.
(A) The Church is renewed every day. By that I mean that every day thousands of Christians end their journey down here and are called home to be with Christ. And every day down here thousands and thousands of new Christians are born into the family of God. There is a daily renewal.
(B) Not all believers mature at the same level. Some grasp Spiritual truths immediately and mature. But some never seem to mature.
(C) Christians have a new nature that cannot sin, (1John 3:9). We also have an old nature that knows nothing but sin. Some deny this truth, but the truth is, we still have the old nature. This is sometimes called “the old man” or “the flesh.” One day we will leave this body, but until then we must learn to “Put off the old man” and to “put on the new man.”(Col. 3;5-15). Not all believers learn this great truth. I am afraid that if I had to face our Lord today, I certainly would not be without spot or wrinkle
(D) One day, Christ will present to Himself that Church without spot or wrinkle. Rev.19:7-9 is a Heavenly scene. The Church has been called Home (raptured). “Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honor to Him, for the marriage of the lamb is come and His wife hath made herself ready. And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, CLEAN and WHITE, for this is the righteousness of the saints.” At that time the Church has been raptured, the believer’s work has been tried. Every motive, every deed, everything between believers has been settled at the Judgment Seat of Christ. Then will He present to Himself that Glorious Church without spot or wrinkle. This is the work Christ will do for Himself. (Eph. 5:27). Now, does this give us excuse to live just any way we want to? Of course not! Every believer is to “follow holiness.” We are to keep our lives pure before the world. We should seek to be more like Jesus every day. One day “we will be like Him for we shall see Him as He is.”
2. ANOTHER COMMON TEACHING TODAY CONCERNING THE COMING IS THAT “HE CANNOT RETURN UNTIL THE GOSPEL IS PREACHED TO ALL NATIONS.” The common reference used is Mt. 24:14. “And this Gospel OF THE KINGDOM shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations, and then shall the end come.” SOME of Matthew 24 was fulfilled in AD 70 when Titus destroyed the city of Jerusalem with the Temple. But not all of Matthew 24 was fulfilled then. That chapter looks ahead to the time of the Great Tribulation period (future). During the Tribulation period, the Gospel of the Kingdom will again be preached. When Jesus came in the flesh He preached the Gospel of the Kingdom. John the Baptist preached the Gospel of the Kingdom. The disciples preached the Gospel of the Kingdom. (Mt. 3:2, 4:17, 23, 9:35, 10:7). Of course, Israel did not receive their King. He was rejected and crucified. The Gospel of the Kingdom is not preached today. We preach the GOSPEL OF GRACE. We preach about the life, death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus Christ, (1Cor 15:1-8). After the Church has been called home, the Gospel of the Kingdom will be preached to all nations. I believe that the preaching of the Gospel of the Kingdom will be the instrument God uses to call all Israel to their homeland. We preach GRACE today. They will preach KINGDOM tomorrow. There is nothing to prevent the Lord Jesus from returning for His Church at any time. We pray with the Apostle John, “Even so, come Lord Jesus.” Perhaps today!. If His coming were today, would you meet Him in the air, or would you be left behind? If you have received Him, (John. 1:12) He will receive you at His coming for His own
THINK ABOUT IT..Winds of doctrines are blowing today. Every day there is something new, something that does not line up with the clear teachings of the Bible. Many are falling for everything new because there has been the forsaking of sound doctrine. Know your Bible. Study your Bible. And speaking of the Bible, don’t fall for these new “versions” NIV, TEV, NKJV, NASV, ASV, etc. This is where much of the problem lies today. The Word of God does not change. It is forever settled. As we have stated many times, in the beginning Satan used the mouth of the serpent to corrupt the Word of God, (Gen. 3). Today he uses the minds of educated men.
AND THE WORLD IS A WILDERNESS. it is no friend to the Christian. The world is heading in one direction, the Christian in another direction. These directions collide!
Don’t be alarmed!
“What prayer, or what words do I say in order to be saved? What is the “sinner’s prayer?”
ANSWER…I know that it is common for the speaker to say at the invitation, “Now, pray these words.” And then he quotes some words to say, and at the end of that prayer he will say, “now you are saved.” We are not saved by saying words or repeating something. Salvation is a matter of the heart. We are saved by receiving Christ. The question then is, “How do I receive Christ?” The Bible says, “Ask, and ye shall receive.” You can do that today, right where you are. God made His plan of Salvation simple.
1. REALIZE that you are a sinner. (Romans 3:23).
2. REALIZE that we can do nothing to save ourselves. (Eph. 2:8-9).
3. REALIZE that Christ alone can save from the penalty and power of sin. (Acts 4:12).
RECEIVE Him today. Christ is ever near you, in the Person of the Holy Spirit. He speaks to your heart. If there is a desire in your heart to be saved, The Holy Spirit put that desire there. Tell Him that you receive Him now!
“Our kind, Gracious Heavenly Father. Bless every reader of this Publication. Save those who need to be saved, strengthen those who are weak, and may the Grace of God overflow in the life of every believer.. In Jesus’ Name.