Vol. 34, No. 1 January, 2010
“FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS”
By Dr. George Mills
“Who knoweth whether thou art come to this kingdom for such a time as this?” (Esther 4:14)
In preparing the message for the New Year, my thinking has to do with TIME. At first I thought about” Redeeming the time,” (Eph. 5:16). Then I thought about “numbering our days,” (Ps 90:12). How much TIME do we have? In the vastness of the world’s population, the ideologies, the religions, the antichrist doctrines, the forsaking of sound doctrine of these days, etc. I am just one person among the billions. What can I do? How much TIME do I have? What can I do that I might affect the lives of many? What can YOU do, what can we do in “SUCH A TIME AS THIS?”
The Book of Esther is dated 483-473 BC or probably between the 6th and 7th Chapters of Ezra. The Jews had been banished from their homeland and deported into Persia. King Ahasuerus in this Book is King Xerxes, a wicked king. He took the word of wicked Haman who had a hatred for the Jews. Haman went
to the king with a plan to annihilate the Jews. His accusation was, “They were defying the king’s laws. He reported;” There is a certain people scattered abroad and dispersed among the people in all the provinces of thy kingdom, and their laws are diverse from all people, NEITHER KEEP THEY THE KING’S LAWS, therefore it is not for the king’s profit to suffer them.” (3:8). Haman offered the king a plan. “Let it be written that they may be destroyed and I will pay ten thousand talents of silver to the hands of those that have charge of the business, to bring it into the king’s treasuries.” (3:9). The king gave his ring to Haman to apply his signet to the writing. “Then were the king’s scribes called on the thirteenth day of the first month, and there was written according to all that Haman had commanded unto the king’s lieutenants, and to the governors that were over every province according to the writing thereof, and to every people after their language, in the name of king Ahasuerus was written and sealed with the king’s ring. And the letters were sent by posts into all the king’s provinces, to destroy, to kill, to cause to perish all Jews, both young and old, little children and women, in ONE DAY, even upon the thirteenth day of the twelfth month, which is the month Adar, and to take the spoil of them for a prey.” (3:12-13). According to the law of the Medes and Persians, a royal commandment cannot be altered or changed, (1:19, 8:8, Dan. 6:8, 15). There was issued a death warrant for the Jewish people by king Ahasuerus.
Does this sound familiar? Down through the centuries man has tried, in vain, to annihilate the Jew. They have been taken captive, disbursed, persecuted, slaughtered, placed in gas chambers, but God has made a covenant with Abraham and his seed, (Gen. 12:1-3) and no prince or power will ever annihilate the Jew. Even during the tribulation when the antichrist turns on the Jewish people, a remnant will be saved. (Mt. 24:15-31, Ro. 9:27) If only the tyrants who seek to destroy Israel would read the Bible, (KJB) they would see how futile any attempt against this people would be. Let them read the pages of history. How foolish.
Anyway, the execution date was set by Pur, or, the casting lots for the month and day, (3:7).
By this time, Esther, a Jewish girl, had been made queen, (2:17). The news of the indictment against the Jewish people had come to Esther’s uncle Mordecai, a devout Jew. He refused to bow, or respect Haman in any way. Mordecai sent word to Queen Esther who probably knew nothing about the plight of the Jews. Esther knew that she could not face the king without proper invitation, (4:10). Please read this small Book of Esther, with only 10 chapters. I can only bring a few things in the brief space I have,
1. MORDECAI’S CAUSE. When Mordecai heard about the king’s indictment against the Jews, he covered himself in sackcloth and ashes and began to cry aloud. He came to the king’s gate where such was not allowed. Esther heard of his condition and sent him some clothing, but Mordecai refused. There is a CAUSE far greater than the personal safety of Mordecai. His people will be murdered. He sent word to Esther to encourage her to go to the king to “make supplication unto him, and to make request before him for her people.” (4:1-8). Mordecai is one of the great men in the history of Israel. Without his concern for his people, who knows if any Jews would have been saved from slaughter? He knew most certainly that there had never been a time as “SUCH A TIME AS THIS.”
2. ESTHER’S COURAGE. Some have found fault with Esther for not acting sooner. She probably was not aware of Haman’s plan. She had been in the king’s court of women’s house for about a year, (2:10-12).
When word came to Esther;
(A) She called for three days of fasting and prayer. (4:16). The word “prayer” is not mentioned, but implied. Prayer and fasting go together.
Mordecai reminded her that this was her responsibility before God. “God will send deliverance from another place, but thou and thy father’s house shall be destroyed, “And who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS?” (4:15).
(B) Esther boldly said, “I will go in unto the king which is NOT ACCORDING TO THE LAW, and “IF I PERISH , I PERISH.” (4:16). Esther’s courage opened the way for Haman to be hanged, and Israel to be delivered.
3. THE KING’S COMMAND. After Esther’s intercession for the people, the king authorized a SECOND COMMAND. Remember, his original orders could not be altered. “Write ye also for the Jews as it liketh you, in the king’s name and seal it with the king’s ring; for the writing which is written in the king’s name, and sealed with the king’s ring, may no man reverse.” (8:8). “Wherein the king granted the Jews which were in every city to gather themselves together, and to stand for their life, to destroy, to slay, and to cause to perish, all the power of the people and province that would assault them, both little ones and women, and take the spoil of them for a prey.” (8:11). The copy of the writing for a commandment to be given in every province was published unto all people, and that the Jews should be ready against that day to avenge themselves on their enemies. So the posts that rode upon mules and camels went out being HASTENED and pressed on by the king’s commandment.” Haman’s plan to destroy the Jews was to take place at one time and day on the 13th day of the month of Adar. (3:13). The king’s new commandment gave the Jews time to get together, to arm themselves, to be prepared for the attack. The Jews gathered themselves together in their cities throughout all the provinces, and no man could withstand them, for the fear of them fell upon all the people. “And all the rulers of the provinces, and the lieutenants, and the deputies and officers of the king HELPED THE JEWS because the fear of Mordecai fell upon them.” (9:3). “And the Jews smote their enemies with the stroke of the sword.”
A nation of people was saved from slaughter because a man of God reminded the Queen that “Who knoweth that thou art come to the kingdom FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS?”
Now, let us leave that time of some 2500 years ago and bring this to our day and time. Not to be compared with the decree of Ahasuerus, there is a decree of Divine Authority…,
1. GOD HAS PRONOUNCED A DEATH SENTENCE OVER SINFUL HUMANITY. Since Adam ate of the tree of knowledge, a death sentence has been hanging over man. “Thou shalt surely die.” “The soul that sinneth, it shall surely die” “The wages of sin is death.” God’s Law is unchangeable and unalterable. Man tries to change it. But man still dies. Medical science tries, but man still dies.
There has never been a more critical time than “SUCH A TIME AS THIS.”
2. THERE IS A SECOND MESSAGE OF SALVATION. This second decree, or message does not alter or void the first message; it provides a way of escape. “Whosoever liveth and believeth on me shall never die.” (Jn 11:26). Yes, there is a way of life, Eternal life. Jesus bought that for us by finished work of Redemption on the Cross. He bore sin’s penalty. He took our place. He died, that we might not die. “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son that whosoever beleiveth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting Life.” (Jn 3:16). He that believeth “Hath everlasting life and shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from DEATH to LIFE.” (Jn 3:24) There has never been a more critical time than “SUCH A TIME AS THIS.”
3. WE MUST HASTEN THE MESSAGE OF SALVATION TO EVERY LAND. In our study of Esther, Ch. 8, there was a hastening to get the message to the Jews. Riders on horseback, mules, camels, dromedaries rode as fast as they could to get the message out to the Jewish people.
The Message of Salvation MUST be delivered to lost mankind. There must be a HASTENING today! This is the primary reason for the WILDERNESS Ministries. We are trying to use every means God has given us to send the message of the Gospel to all nations. “If thou forbear to deliver them that are drawn unto death, and those that are ready to be slain. If thou sayest, Behold, we knew it not, doth not He that pondereth the heart consider it? And He that keepeth thy soul, doth He not know it? And shall He not render every man according to his works? (Pr. 24:11-12).
God placed Esther where she was “FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS.” God has placed me, and you, where we are “FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS!” We are at the most critical time in history. Time is running out. The work of Christ MUST be done.
4. ONLY BY A RESPONSE TO THE SECOND MESSAGE CAN THE EFFECT OF THE FIRST MESSAGE BE AVOIDED.
According to God’s unchanging Law, “The wages of sin is still death.” Men who die without Christ still face an awful eternity, (Lk. 16:19-31).
In order to escape the sentence of death, we MUST receive the only way that God has provided. God is Holy and Just.
In His Holiness He has given His Son as the only sacrifice for sin. The death of Christ on the Cross satisfied the Holy God. The price for sin has been paid.
His Justice has been satisfied. His Law is not broken for those who respond to the Message of Salvation. I did that very thing almost 50 years ago. I heard and responded to the message; “But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name.” (Jn 1:12). He gave me life, and hope, reason for living, and no fear of dying. Now, I am a child of the King. The same is true for you if you have received His message of Salvation. And if, not, why not right now tell God, in your own words that you accept Christ’s finished work of Redemption. He will hear the cry of the repentant heart. Remember, there has never been “SUCH A TIME AS THIS.”
AND THE WORLD IS A WILDERNESS…It is no friend to the Christian.
It is obvious from history and current events that much of the world hates the Jewish people. Even today they are threatened with annihilation.
We are for the Jewish people and trust that our government will always be a friend to Israel.
In like manner, the unsaved world hates the Christian. Satanic forces, principalities of the air oppose us. In the world we have no friend. In Christ, we have an unfailing Friend!
THINK ABOUT IT…Think of the haste in which they carried the second message of the king to the various cities in the provinces of Persia. This was a Message of Salvation. God has left us here, where we are to hastily carry His Message of Redemption. “Who knoweth whether thou art come to the kingdom FOR SUCH A TIME AS THIS?
FROM MY HEART
By Mildred Mills
OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW!
The past year has been a busy one filled with His Blessings! Good health and strength that only God can give. Blessings that are too many to count were bestowed upon us and for this we are truly thankful. Our Heavenly Father withholds no good thing from His children and I am so thankful to be able to say that I am a child of the King. God made that possible by sending His Son to die for me. He took our sins in His own body and paid the price for us, making it possible to become His children. If you have never trusted His finished work on the cross, do so today and begin the New Year with the assurance that you too are a child of the King. The old year is now a thing of the past so we need to think on the brand new year ahead of us.
Number one, make sure you have called on the Lord for Salvation and then stop worrying about the future. This is our Father’s world and I’m certainly sure that He is perfectly capable of taking care of it. I realize that the evil one has tried to remove God and everything He stands for out of America but this is God’s country and He has the last say. He is in control, so relax and trust Him to take care of the situation. He is able, He is watching, His eyes are everywhere all the time, so why worry when you can trust the One that created the world and all that is in it. Worry begins when faith ends so keep the faith. If you are tired of worry and fear take it to the Lord in prayer. As the hymn says, “Take your burden to the Lord and leave it there!” This New Year will offer us many opportunities to witness, to serve and honor Him so don’t miss a one of them. Make this year the best ever by serving Jesus with all your heart. What a precious privilege to serve our God who is full of compassion, Gracious, Longsuffering, and plenteous in Mercy and Truth. (Psalm 86:15).
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
THE BENEFITS OF THE NEW BIRTH.
“Ye MUST be born again.” (Jn 3:7).
1. SIN IS FORGIVEN. All sin, every sin that you ever committed, was paid in full. We are forgiven, we are Justified, and we are made new. Just as if I’d never sinned. Isn’t that great?
2. SEALED WITH THE SPIRIT. The very moment we trust Christ, the Holy Spirit comes to live in us. A Divine Person lives in every believer. That’s a matter of fact, not feelings.
3. SONSHIP IS SETTLED. “But as many as received Him to them gave He power to become the SONS OF GOD even to them that believe on His Name.”(Jn. 1:12). “NOW are we the SONS OF GOD.” (1Jn 3:2). We are not adopted into the family of God; we are Born into His family by way of the New Birth. “Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God.” (1Jn 5:1).
4. SECURELY SEALED. Salvation is not something we hang on to, or hold out for. Christ bought us at Calvary. We are His. We are BORN AGAIN. Before we were saved we were without God and without hope. Now we are His. Enjoy your trip from here to eternity!
KNOW YOUR BIBLE
By Pastor George Mills
Acts 12:1-4 is a favorite passage used by those who oppose the thought that God gave us a Perfect Bible. They seek to discredit the King James translators who used the word “EASTER” instead of the word PASSOVER.
Just a few months ago I was listening to a radio broadcast originating from a broadcast network that has the word BIBLE in it’s title. The speaker attacked the King James translators for using the word EASTER and not PASSOVER in Acts 12:4. His remark was, “What a terrible day for them to associate with our Lord’s Resurrection,”
I do not recall ever writing to any broadcast or other media, but I did write this one because of his attack against the integrity of the King James Translators. I do agree with the speaker in that it is very true that Easter was a pagan love feast and has nothing to do with our Lord’s Resurrection. The King James translators knew that Peter was arrested during the days of unleavened bread. PASSOVER had passed. King Herod was not waiting for the Jewish Holy Days to end before he put Peter to death. He could not care less about the Jew’s Holy Days. Herod was waiting for the pagan feast of Astarte, or Ishtar, (pronounced EASTER) (Jer 44:17-25). This was a pagan love feast that occurred late in April. Through the years religion has brought “EASTER” with the bunny and eggs into the “church world.” This is not to fault the translators, they chose the right word; EASTER. I have found the King James translators right every time that they are REALLY put to the test. As I have said before, so say I again, there is nothing wrong with your Bible, KJB that is.
By Pastor George Mills
“The Words of the Lord are Pure Words, as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.” (Ps. 12:6)
I believe that the Bible is a Gift of God,
And that every word in it is Pure,
Although many debate it,
And many more hate it,
It is Truth that will ever endure.
Refined more than silver, of more value than gold,
More treasure than man can afford,
And though often tried,
And daily denied,
It’s Treasure is Christ, The Lord.
It’s Words are inspired, each word is true,
No error or fault can one find,
To trust and obey,
It’s Commandments each day,
Will give one real peace of mind.
It told me of Christ and His Great Love for me,
No other book can compare,
It tells of Salvation,
For each generation,
It tells of a Heaven to share.
So I’ll stay with the Bible, the Book Divine,
The Book that tells of Christ’s Love,
It seeks to refine,
And a new life design,
‘Til at last I’m in Heaven above.
These words are left together for illustration…
They go together. They are Siamese twins. You cannot separate them.
SAVING FAITH is a Gift of God. “For by Grace are ye saved through FAITH and that not of yourselves, it (Faith) is the gift of God.” (Eph 2:8)
REPENTANCE is a Gift of God. “Then hath God also to the gentiles granted REPENTANCE unto life.” (Acts 11:18, 5:31, Ro. 2:4, 2Tim 2:25).
We do not have these graces within ourselves; they are gifts from the God of all Grace.
When the lost sinner is led through the simple plan of Salvation…
1. That he is a sinner, Ro. 3:23,
2. That he cannot save himself, Ro. 5:6-8
3. That Christ died on the Cross and was buried, and arose from the dead for his Salvation, Ro. 10:9-10,
4. That Salvation is a free Gift, Ro. 6:23.
And that same sinner opens his heart and receives Christ, Jn 1:12, I have no Biblical ground to doubt his salvation.
THINK ABOUT IT…If I convince myself that I am saved without repentance, then I am only fooling myself.
Therefore REPENTANCE and SAVING FAITH, both Gifts of God’s Grace are forever working TOGETHER to bring the lost to a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
“Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, REPENTANCE toward God, and FAITH toward our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Acts 20:21).
“It is the Goodness of God that leadeth thee to Repentance.” (Ro. 2:4)
AND THE WORLD IS A WILDERNESS…It is no friend to the Christian. The world lied to the Prodigal son in Luke 15:11-24. The world is that “far country” that promised much but took all the young man had and left him in the hog pen. That’s what the world wants to do with everyone. The world is enticing, it glitters. Let’s remember that there is always a table filled with good things at our Father’s house.
We wish to express our gratitude for every card, letter, call, and other expressions of kindness we received at Christmas time. We are glad to know that you are helped by the WILDERNESS. We wish for everyone a HAPPY and a PROSPEROUS New Year. Thank you for your gifts and Prayers.
Your Gifts make it possible.
Your Prayers make it Powerful!
Thanks, and God Bless.