Vol. 32, No. 6 June, 2008
THE VISION WE NEED
Dr. George Mills
“In the year that King Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a Throne, high and lifted up, and His train filled the Temple. Above it stood the Seraphims; each one had six wings, with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. And one cried unto another and said Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord of hosts: the earth is full of His Glory. And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke. Then said I, Woe is me! For I am undone, because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts. Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the alter. And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips, and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged. Also, I heard the voice of the Lord saying, Whom shall I send, and who shall go for us? Then said I, Here am I, send me. And He said, Go, and tell this people, Hear ye indeed, but understand not, and see ye indeed, but perceive not.” (Isa. 6:1-9)
“Where there is no vision, the people perish.”
I believe with all my heart that we need a vision today. A vision like the vision of Isaiah in this text. There is so much in this passage. I trust that we can sift some things to challenge us. What do we need to see?…
1. THE HOLINESS OF GOD. The Shekinah Glory of God filled the Temple. FIRST, Isaiah saw the HOLINESS of God. Everyone that God uses MUST, in some way have a vision of His Holiness. We can think of great men of the Old Testament, and in the New Testament, the Disciples, Paul, John the Revelator. These men, too many to mention, saw the Holiness of God, as they fell before Him. We often speak of the attributes of God. His Grace, His Love, His Wisdom, His Mercy, His Truth, His Justice, all of these and so many more. But there is one attribute of God that determines all of His attributes, and that is; His HOLINESS. His Holiness means that He is absolutely PURE, that there is not one iota of unrighteousness in Him. The seraphim in this chapter I believe are the same ones that appear in Rev. 4:6-8. It seems that these are four “Angelic
Policemen” whose sole responsibility is to guard the Holiness of God. When we refer to the attributes of God we do not mention them in plurality. For instance we do not say. Grace, Grace, Grace, or Love, Love, Love, but the Bible refers to the Holiness of God as Holy, Holy, Holy.
The thrice Holy God. Isaiah saw God in His rightful position; Holy, High, and exalted. Absolutely pure. May I ask;
How do YOU see God? Most people see God as maybe someone to call upon when trouble comes. Or God as one of many “gods” or maybe some “grandfather” figure up there somewhere, or maybe someone who is looking down ready to smite at the smallest mistake. But how do YOU see God? Your view, or vision of God, and who He is, determines your service for Him. In your life, is He the God of Love, Mercy, Truth, Patience, and Kindness? Is He Holy? As for me, I serve the Omnipotent, All knowing, ever present, awesome, Holy, Loving, Kind, Patient, True, Living God. I love Him. I praise Him for His work of Redemption.
Again, how do YOU see God?
Where did Isaiah see God? High upon His Throne. King of kings. Right where He has always been. Where do we see God today? We see God, the Living Truth revealed in the Written Truth. The Written Truth, and the Living Truth are in complete harmony, they never conflict. What God has revealed of Himself is written in His Word, in the Preserved Text (KJB) you can see Him clearly. The more we read the more clear we can see.
WHEN did Isaiah see God? It was in the year that King Uzziah died. Isaiah dates his experience from the time the king died. In times past, we would date things from great tragedies, or events. We would say something like, “It was in the year that Mama died, or the year of the great flood, or some great event.
King Uzziah’s death ended a glorious time in Judah. Uzziah rebelled against the Lord and died a leper. The nation prospered materially, but not morally.
Now, it seems to Isaiah, that there is little hope for the nation. Sin is beginning to take it’s toll. The First chapter of the Book of Isaiah lists the indictments against the land of Judah. This list reads like the headlines of today; “Ah sinful people, a people laden with iniquity, a seed of evildoers, children that are corrupters, they have forsaken the lord, they have provoked the holy One of Israel unto anger, they are gone away backward.”
God is saying to Isaiah, “I’m still alive. I am right here. I am on my Throne. I have everything in control. TRUST ME!” This is an encouragement to Isaiah. Today, our beloved homeland suffers. Sin is unchecked. Anything, and everything is alright. Any “god” is OK. It is past time for this nation to seek the face of God, the God of Heaven, the God of the Bible (KJB). God was the only hope for Judah. Again and again God had sent His prophets through the land to plead with the people. Today, God’s Preachers, (few in number) have been pleading with this nation to turn to God.
Have we gone too far?
2. THE HUMILITY OF THE PROPHET. Isaiah saw himself. Now that he has seen God as God really is, he could see himself as he really is. “Woe is me, for I am undone, I am a man of unclean lips.
He saw his own personal weakness. Now there must be some confessing, cleansing, and changing of garments. First…
PRIDE has to go. Now, Isaiah can write with real, personal knowledge, “But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness are as filthy rags.” (Isa 64:6)
TRUST IN THE FLESH has to go. Isaiah must have looked to king Uzziah for many things. Isaiah had been trusting the king, and not the King of Kings.
How do you see yourself? As you talk to people, you will find that most think of themselves as “alright” or “pretty good” or “not so bad.” When Isaiah saw God as God, he did not think so much of himself. “My lips are unclean.”. Unclean speech comes from an unclean heart. One of the seraphim takes a live coal from the alter and touches the lips of Isaiah. His sin is purged. Now he has a fresh view of himself. The alter is where the sacrifice was offered. Reminding us of the “Blood that cleanseth from all sin. His sin is purged.
How do YOU see yourself? Do you see you as God sees you? We MUST have a right view of God, and of ourselves before God uses us. How do YOU see yourself?
3. THE HUNGER OF THE NATION..”I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips, for mine eyes have seen the king.” Everything about Isaiah has been changed. His view of God, of himself, and his nation. His values are changed. He can see judgment on the horizon. Sin abounds everywhere. The land was filled with idolatry. And the same is true today. I know that we do not have the same idols as they had in Isaiah’s day. But we have idols. Materialism, worldliness, self, greed. Every Sunday we see thousands of vehicles with idols pulled behind on their way to the lake, or river. The golf courses, tennis courts, the “fun spots,” all filled to capacity on the Lord’s Day speak loudly of the idolatry of our land. Today, if we would just open our eyes, we might be able to see not so much a famine of food, but;
A SPIRITUAL FAMINE.. “Behold the days come saith the Lord, that I will send a FAMINE in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the Words of the Lord. (Amos 8:11) Today we have everything. We have church buildings, programs, meetings, we have “how to” video, tapes, CD’s books, and dozens of various “VERSIONS” we have everything but REVIVAL. We need an old fashioned sin bustin’ REVIVAL. We do not need more churches, or larger churches. We need to hear from Heaven. We will not hear from Heaven until our vision is clear.
A MORAL FAMINE. The days of Isaiah were compared to the days of Sodom and Gomorrah (1:10) Sin was taking the nation. Sin is taking our nation down. I can almost hear the cry of the Prophet Jeremiah as he views the ruin of the nation and cries out, “Is it nothing to you, all ye that pass by?”(Lam.1:12). Does anybody care? Today, moral degradation, homosexuality, drugs, venereal diseases, alcoholism, the murder of the unborn. Teen age suicide, the main killer of teens today. Child abuse, Pornography, Crime, murder,…the list just grows. Just a few years ago I would never believe this would be happening to our nation…but here we are. Just read your paper.
A POLITICAL FAMINE. The nation in Isaiah’s day was very sick “The whole head is sick, and the whole heart faint.”(1:5) In our own homeland the powers that be have let our nation down. No longer do we have great statesmen, great leaders in congress who fight for us. Congress has not been on our side. Courts have not been on our side. Right is being called wrong, and wrong is being made right.
Yes, there was a great moral, spiritual, and political hunger in the land. The same is true today.
How do YOU see our nation? I do sincerely believe that we must first see God as He is, and then we can see ourselves as we really are, then we can see the real hunger of this nation.
4. THE HEART OF THE SOUL WINNER. “Whom shall I send, and who will go for US?” When Isaiah’s heart was changed, he said, “Here am I, send me.” God told Isaiah that the job will not be easy. The same is true today. Not many people will listen to you. You will preach your heart out. You will pour out your soul, but not many people will listen. Just do it anyway. Some will listen. Some will hear the message and will repent. May God touch the hearts of some Isaiah’s out there. God bless our nation. God bless you as you seek to walk for Him.
And my friend, do you know Christ? Not that you know about Him, do you know Him? Today, He is there, where you are, in the Person of the Holy Spirit. He will come into your life to be your Saviour and make life worth living. He will hear the cry of your repentant heart. “But as many as received Him to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that call upon His Name.”
Just tell Him in your own words that you receive Him, that you Believe that He died on the Cross in full payment for your sin, that He was buried, and that he arose from the dead to be YOUR LIVING SAVIOUR. God help you do that now.
Begin TODAY to Live FOREVER!
THE HOLINESS OF GOD
By Pastor George Mills
I saw the Holiness of God
Revealed so clear to me.
While Seraphim did hide their face,
I saw God’s Purity.
I saw myself as I really am,
Unclean, my lips, my all.
There, clothed in my righteousness,
Alas, I seemed so small.
I saw the world about me then,
Unclean, as well as I.
With none to give them warning,
And time was passing by.
My lips were touched with coals of fire,
My attitude was changed.
I saw God in His Holiness,
My life, He rearranged.
I heard Him say in tender Words
“Is there one for us to send?”
Can I refuse His urgent call,
Can I, His Will, offend?
I said “Oh Lord send me today,
Let me, Thy message bear.
To spend my days to tell thy Truth,
That everyone may hear.
To lose my life will be my gain,
To publish God’s Great Name.
For I saw God in His Holiness,
I will never be the same.
“Mine eyes have seen the KING, the Lord of Hosts.” We need no greater vision than this.
WANDERING THROUGH THE WILDERNESS…
“BRETHREN, PRAY FOR US”…
I sincerely invoke the prayers of all our friends out there, wherever you may be.
(1) As I checked our Webalizer Statistic page this morning I see that in the first 13 days of this month, (May) folks in 18 countries of the world have visited our web-site. That amazes me! We have reached people in America, Canada, Japan, China, Australia, Europe, Russia, England, Jordan etc. In fact, this makes a total of 91 countries this year. God is good! In the last 9 months of 2007, folks in 272 countries dialed our web-site. Modern means of communication have opened doors of opportunities we never dreamed of just a few short years ago. I urge every Fundamental, Bible Believing, (KJB) Church to get in on every opportunity that is available.
This has that “ripple” effect that just keeps growing. We went on the internet in 2001. We had no way of advertisement, no national audience, but we asked God to let us reach the nations of the world. PRAY FOR US. Our stand is FUNDAMENTAL, INDEPENDENT, KING JAMES ONLY, BAPTIST. I have not changed one iota, and don’t plan to.
Our web-site has several years of messages posted. Messages on many subjects.
We often receive requests to use some of our materials. You do not need to ask. That is the reason we have them posted. Our materials are used by Churches, and other web-sites have some of our publications posted. We are happy about every opportunity we have to get the Word to the nations.
“BRETHREN, PRAY FOR US.”
(2) You are now reading the June, 2008 edition of the WILDERNESS. This means that this Publication is now 32 years young. This has been a real joy of ours. The research, planning, the studying, all have been a joy and we love reaching people and helping them to grow. BRETHREN, PRAY FOR US!
(3) THE CHURCH IN THE WILDWOOD BROADCAST. Our Broadcast is now on our web-site. We will have to make some changes. The quality now is poor, all because our equipment is poor. Also, at the present time, I simply tape our Sunday Morning message. We are located just one block from a major Railroad Track. It is not uncommon to pick up the sound of the engine as the train rumbles past. Also, we are located under the flight path of the Jacksonville Naval Air station. Again, the sound of a roaring Jet does not do our taping any favors. I have not put any new tapes on our site for several weeks, but plan to come to the Church during those times when things have quieted down and tape some broadcasts.
BRETHREN, PRAY FOR US!
(4) PRISON OUTREACH. We send our Publication, in bulk, to as many prisons as requested. One Chaplain requested 3000 copies each month. I wish that we could afford to do that, but we do what we can. We receive mail from inmates in various institutions indicating that our Literature has helped them in their walk with The Lord. We trust that in the near future we can create more helps for new converts.
“BRETHREN, PRAY FOR US”
(5) GOSPEL TRACTS. I began writing my own tracts back in 1966. I mainly intended them for our local church use. One day we received one of our tracts from a Jail in Kalamazoo, Mich. The inmate had filled in the spaces on the back page indicating that he had received Christ. How did one of our Tracts wind up there? Who knows? Since then I have written more tracts and have offered them free to all who will prayerfully use them. We have never kept up with the number of tracts we have printed, but today our Tracts are in various places of the world. PRAISE GOD!
“BRETHREN, PRAY FOR US.”
(6) BIBLES FOR AFRICA. A couple of years ago we received a request from Benin City, Nigeria. “Can you help us with Bibles?” I did send him some. Others in that same area of Africa asked for helps. These people have never asked for anything but Bibles, books, pencils, and helps. Pastors and evangelists do work in various villages there. We want to help them all we can. We do not know them, this is an act of Faith on our part. Daily we get requests from that one area in Africa. One Pastor advised me that one village had only one New Testament for the whole village. When I hear about things like that, it grieves me to hear of religious Charlatans here who live in multi-million dollar mansions that innocent, well meaning church members have built for them. Anyway, we are happy to share with them what we have. Kind folks have sent offerings to keep this project going. We are thankful for each one. “BRETHREN, PRAY FOR US.”
I am humbled, privileged, and proud to have a small part in getting the Gospel to the nations.
NOW, some have the idea that this home Church is quite large, with a large budget. We are not! We are located in a section of Jacksonville that once was quite busy. However, all the Navy housing has been closed. We were surrounded by mobile home parks. These have been replaced by shopping centers. Land in Jacksonville is expensive, very expensive. Important decisions concerning our growth will have to be made soon.
“BRETHREN, PRAY FOR US”
We have done what we have because kind folks give. We have never had anything to sell. All of this has been sustained by the GRACE of God.
I thought that I would take just a few lines in this edition to bring these things to your attention again. Words cannot express my gratitude for those who help. I have asked God to allow me to speak to the nations of the world. And now, anywhere in the world where there is a computer, I can do that. GOD IS GOOD!
God bless you. “BRETHREN, PRAY FOR US.”
THINK ABOUT IT…In my lifetime, I have lived during the time when the fastest way of communication was with the telegram, which took hours. NOW, we can contact nations far away, instantly.
“Delight thyself also in the Lord, and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart.” (Psa 37:4)
HAPPY FATHER’S DAY
June 15, 2008
We wish for every Father out there a very happy Father’s Day. I salute every Dad who cares for his family. Every Dad who sacrifices for his family. Who works that second job to see that his family is cared for.
“Master, I have brought unto Thee my son..” (Mk. 9:17) We know little about the Father in this text. We do not know if he was rich, or poor. Was he a business man? Was he a farmer? Was he educated? Or was he unlearned? We just do not know. I believe the words; “Master I have brought unto thee my son,” tell us all we need to know about him. I believe that the most honorable thing a man can to is to lead his son to Christ. The Bible gives us many illustrations of good men, but were poor fathers. Jacob, Isaac, Eli, Saul, David, Solomon just to mention a few. Some of these played favorites among their children. While they fared well publicly, they failed as fathers. My heart goes out to every Dad who does his best to be the Husband and Father he should be…
1. SAVED. First, be sure that you are saved. Make sure that you have trusted Christ. Every home, every child needs a Christian Dad.
2. Every Dad should do like the Dad in our text, “Master I have brought unto Thee my son.” The noblest thing you can ever do for your child.
3. Spend all the time you can with your children. Teach them. They will learn from someone. Let that someone be you. Even if you just go to the store for a loaf of bread, take you son with you. Answer his questions. He will have a million. Answer him anyway. He will learn from someone.
4. Let your son (daughter) know that he/she is the best loved kid in the world. Teach him that he can do anything he puts his mind to. A former pitcher for the New York Yankees was speaking to some inmates in a prison service. “How many of you ever heard your father say, “one day you are going to end up in prison.” Just about every hand went up. The pitcher then said, “Do you know what my Dad told me over and over again” He said to me, “One day you are going to pitch for the New York Yankees.” His Dad planted a seed, and encouraged his son to fruition. Let your child know HE CAN!
5. Be an example before your family. Be honest. You can fool the world, but you can’t fool your children. Be real. Be a real Christian dad
God bless every Dad. Happy Father’s day!
THINK ABOUT IT…When God gave the example of real man-hood, He did not use the example of some great commander, or soldier, or athlete. He gave the example of a Loving Father.
“My son, forget not my Law, but let thine heart keep my commandments. For length of days, and long life, and peace shall they add to thee.”