Vol. 31, No. 8 August, 2007
“I HAVE CALLED”
By Pastor George Mills
“Turn you at My reproof, because I will pour out my Spirit unto you. I will make known My words unto you. Because I HAVE CALLED, and ye refused. I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded. But ye have set at nought all My counsel, and would none of My reproof. I will also laugh at your calamity. I will mock when your fear cometh. When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you. Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer, they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me. For that they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the Lord. They would none of My counsel, they despised all My reproof. Therefore shall they eat the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.” (Prov 1:23-31)
“I HAVE CALLED.” Did it ever occur to you that God has been after you all of your life? Christ has been patiently waiting for you to call upon Him while you have TODAY. Let us together take a few minutes and see just how God has been calling men unto Himself. He calls us from something, unto someone.
1. HIS CALLING IS PHYSICAL. The Personal God calls the physical unto Himself. The calling of God reaches the entire being of man. His calling affects the hearing, the seeing, all of our physical senses are someway affected by His calling. As I have thought of my past life before I was saved, I can see time after time that God moved in my physical being in trying to gain my attention. Many times back there I should have died, or been killed, but for the Grace of God. Now, there is no way that I can rightly be called a Calvinist. In fact, just a few Months ago, I listed the points of Calvinism and stated why I disagreed with all five points. So, while I do not believe in the doctrine of predestination, I can clearly see how God was working in my life to get me Saved. “I HAVE CALLED.”
2. HIS CALLING IS PSYCHOLOGICAL. Now, don’t turn me off. I am not going to take us on a trip to some Physiatrist’s couch. I mean that His calling affects the inner man, the mental, the MIND. This is Satan’s battleground; the MIND. Satan’s attack in the beginning was not so much lustful,(and it was lustful) his
Attack was against the mental, the MIND. This indeed would be a great study. But the truth is that God’s calling affects the Mental as well as the Physical. “I HAVE CALLED.”
3. HIS CALLING IS BY PERSONALITIES. Think of Godly PARENTS who taught us about Christ. God was using them in His calling us.
And how about the PREACHER. Can you remember how he preached and how your heart beat in you bosom when the invitation was given?
And there is a PARTNER. that God used. A wife, or a husband. God used that loved one in calling you, me to Repentance.
We could mention a PAL. A dear friend who kept after you. What a dear precious friend is that one who will not give up. Yes, in His calling, God uses PERSONALITIES. “I HAVE CALLED.”
4. GOD’S CALLING IS THROUGH PRAYER. Think of the prayers of others. I believe that Jesus prayed for me on His way to Gethsemane. In His High Priestly prayer in John 17:20 Jesus prayed, “Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word.” That prayer included me. I have mentioned PARENTS, PREACHERS, PARTNERS, and PALS. But perhaps there were others we know not of who were praying for us. Yes, God’s calling is through the faithful prayers of many people. Let us never stop praying for the unsaved. Let us keep witnessing, encouraging, and praying. “I HAVE CALLED.”
5. HIS CALLING IS BY THE PARACLETE. Now, I am not going to try to pull some “Greek” on you. Paraclete is a Greek word meaning, Advocate, Intercessor, to invoke, TO CALL. The Paraclete is the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit has been on our trail all of our lives. Our Text in Proverbs says, “I will pour out My Spirit unto you.” (v23). As I look back, I look back in amazement. I must confess that the Holy Spirit moved in my life so many, many times. I am so sorry that I did not heed His calling when I was just a young boy. I am so glad that God was patient with me, and that He saved me the moment I trusted Him. “I HAVE CALLED.”
6. HIS CALLING IS THROUGH THE PRECEPTS. “Precepts” meaning His Commandments, His Ordinances. Again, our text says, “I will make known My WORDS unto you.” (v23). He calls us by His Powerful Word. “So then Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.” (Ro 10:17). This is why the unsaved man does not like the Bible, (KJV). The Bible tells what we are. It hides nothing. God calls us by His Word. “I HAVE CALLED.”
7. GOD’S CALLING IS THROUGH PROBLEMS. Sometimes He troubles our lives. Not because He is unfair, or unjust. Sometimes PROBLEMS are just God’s way of tapping us on our shoulder and saying to us, “We need to talk.” “You need to be saved, today.” Jesus said to Saul before he was saved and his name changed to Paul, “I am Jesus whom thou persecutest, it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.” (Acts 9:5). Saul was present at the stoning of Stephen. I am quite sure that this is one of the “pricks” God used to get his attention. “I HAVE CALLED.”
8. GOD’S CALLING IS PERSONAL. Sure, God uses People, Personalities, Parents, Prayers, Paraclete, Precepts, etc, but God calls us PERSONALLY.
(A) There is a General Call. John the Baptist said of Christ, “That was the True Light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world.” (Jn. 1:9) That verse tells me that in some way, God speaks to every man born into this world. There is within the inner being of every man the need to know God.
(B) There is a Personal Call. Through the Bible, from Genesis 3:15 unto the last invitation in Rev 22:17, “And the Spirit and the Bride say, come. And let him that heareth say, come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.”
That Personal Call is the time when the Holy Spirit of God takes the Word of God and convinces you that…
(A) YOU are a sinner. The “ALL” have sinned and come short of the Glory of God,” Becomes “I HAVE SINNED.”
(B) YOU cannot save yourself from the Penalty and Power of sin. Christ bore all of the penalty for YOUR sin by His Death on the Cross, and His Resurrection from the dead. “For by GRACE are ye saved through faith and that NOT OF YOURSELVES, it is the gift of God.” (Eph 2:8).
(C )YOU must, by faith alone ask Christ to save you, to forgive your sin.
He gives us a NEW LIFE, His Righteousness. And with a NEW HEART, and a NEW LIFE we can begin to really live, and live forever.
“I HAVE CALLED.”
I REJECTED that call. Time and time again, I REJECTED that Call.
I did not REGARD that call.
One day I did RECEIVE that call. I heard the voice of the Holy Spirit as He convinced me of my sin, and pointed me to my Wonderful Saviour, Jesus Christ.
Today, I REJOICE in that call.
He was calling me all of my life, and I did not recognize His voice. And He is calling YOU today. In one or more of the ways I have mentioned, and perhaps in ways I have failed to mention, God has been calling you to Repentance. Today is your day to answer His call. He is there, where you are. He will hear the cry of the repentant heart. “But as many as received Him to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name.” Tell Him just now that you receive Him. The Bible says, “ask, and ye shall receive.” Answer His call just now. Begin TODAY to Live FOREVER.
“I HAVE CALLED.”
THINK ABOUT IT…All of our righteousness are filthy rags. What could He do with such? His gives His Righteousness.
WANDERING THROUGH THE WILDERNESS… Time now for comments and questions…
IS THERE HOPE IN THE POPE?
Just a few days ago the Pope issued the statement saying that “Salvation is ONLY in the church, and that the Roman Catholic Church is the ONLY church.” That leaves all of the rest of professing Christianity without any hope. I wonder where he got that teaching from. He certainly did not get that from the Bible. He did not get that from the Latin Vulgate (catholic) bible, nor did he get that from the Douay (catholic) bible. He got that from tradition. He must have gotten that from some “Priest’s handbook” Probably from the same book where the doctrine of purgatory, next to the page where the doctrine of Transubstantiation is found. Should the Pope read the Bible, (KJV) he will find that Salvation is only in CHRIST, not the church, IN CHRIST. He did not find his “theory” in John 3, nor in Romans 10:13, nor in Ephesians 1-2, nor in dozens of other great Chapters on the simple plan of Salvation.
The Pope has not stated something new. Nothing has changed. This has been their position down through the centuries. They have not changed. I believe that you can get a vivid picture of this “religious system” as you read Revelation 17:1-7. And in Ch. 18 you read where Religious, Political, and Economical Babylon will be judged.
I would not trade my liberty IN CHRIST for all of that man made tradition, superstitution, idols, statues, robes, candles, rites, rituals, paganism. We are free IN CHRIST.
I am aware that some of our readers are catholic. I am trusting that all we come in contact with will trust the Living Christ, and not some religion. And unless the Pope comes to the realization that Salvation is only IN CHRIST, then THERE’S NO HOPE FOR THE POPE.
Please remember to pray for the “WILDERNESS” Ministries. I believe that these are worthy of your prayers and your support…
1. WILDERNESS Monthly Publication. This small Publication was born in June, 1976. We are now 31 years young. My, how God has blessed.
2. WILDERNESS Tracts, books, and other helps to win souls and to get started right.
3. WILDERNESS Prison Ministry. Our Publication is sent into many State Prisons, County, and City Jails. We hear from inmates regularly. We are glad to know that this Ministry has helped.
4. WILDERNESS Internet Ministry. This Monthly Publication has been posted on our web site since 2001. Readers in over 40 countries visited our web site in June.
5. WILDERNESS Bibles for Africa. Daily we receive requests for Bibles, tracts, and other helps. We do what we can to help.
6. WILDERNESS Radio. “The Church In The Wildwood Broadcast” began in 1966. We have tried to cover as much of the world as we can. This was broadcast short wave, and now on our web site.
I trust that we can do more and reach further than ever. We have never had an abundance of funds. We have depended upon the generosity of God’s people. I have tried to show that just a small congregation can reach many, especially in these days of communication.
“BRETHREN, PRAY FOR US”
THE BIBLE (KJV)
The Bible contains 3,566,480 letters, 733,746 words, 31,102 verses, 1,189 chapters, and 66 books. The longest chapter is the 119th Psalm. The shortest is the 117th Psalm. The middle verse is the 8th of the 118th Psalm. The middle word is really two words, “THE LORD” Psa 118:8. (this is not the case in these new “translations.”) The longest name is in the 8th chapter of Isaiah. The word “and” appears 46,227 times. The thirty-seventh chapter of Isaiah and the 19th chapter of 2Kings are alike. The longest verse is the 9th of the eighth chapter of Esther. The shortest verse is the 35th of the 11th chapter of John. In the 21st verse of the 7th chapter of Ezra is the alphabet. The name of God is not mentioned in the Book of Esther. The Bible contains two testaments. The Old is Law, the New is Love. The Old is the Bud, the New is the Bloom. In the Old, man is reaching up for God, in the New God is reaching down for man. In the Old, man is in the valley but can see the sun shining on the mountain tops. In the New he is on the mountain top basking in the sunlight of God’s Infinite Love.
“I am in prison. I am a Christian, but I am in prison. There seems to be so little that I can do. Any Suggestions?”
Answer…I am glad that we have the opportunity to send this Publication, in bulk to quite a few prisons. We trust that this Ministry will in some way help you.
I am glad to know that you are a Christian. I am well aware of the fact that life is not easy there, this is especially true for a Christian…
(A) Learn to pray. Pray for yourself. You have as much access to God in prayer that anyone else has. Ask God for power to live for Him. Power to overcome. Create a prayer list. List the ones you know who are not saved and pray for them. I thank God for the ones in places I know not of who pray for this ministry. Learn to pray.
(B) Study your Bible (KJV). The Bible is the source of wisdom. It helps us understand ourselves, and the nature of man. Become a student of God’s Word.
Perhaps you could enroll in a correspondence course. There are several sound schools that offer correspondence courses.
(C) Witness to others in prison. Many in prison have never heard a clear Gospel witness. Many have left prison to become real giants for God.
(D) Work on your secular education. Work on some degree. If you do not have a high school education, work on that. Don’t just waste your time
(E) Self examination. What led you there in the first place. SIN. Determine that by the Grace of God, “I will never be the same.” Let this time make you BETTER and not BITTER. Thanks, and God bless you.
REMEMBER NOW THY CREATOR
Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them. While the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars be not darkened, nor the clouds return after the rain. In the day when the keepers of the house shall tremble, and the strong men shall bow themselves, and the grinders cease because they are few, and those that look out of the windows be darkened. And the doors shall be shut in the streets, when the sound of the grinding is low, and he shall rise up at the voice of the bird, and all the daughters of music shall be brought low. Also when they shall be afraid of that which is high, and fears shall be in the way, and the almond tree shall flourish, and the grasshopper shall be a burden, and desire shall fail; because man goeth to his long home, and mourners go about in the streets. Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, and the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel be broken at the cistern. Then shall the dust return to earth as it was, and the spirit return unto God who gave it.”
This text. It pictures the stages of a man’s life. It pictures YOUTH, GROWING OLDER, OLD AGE, DEATH, ETERNITY..
1. YOUTH. V1.
Remember, now in days of youth. This is the time of excitement, of learning, of planning. This is the time of life when we should do our best for God. In this text, old age is pictured as a coming storm that blocks out light. “WHILE THE EVIL DAYS COME NOT.” Before the trying days of old age, Remember NOW thy Creator. The time will come when you can no longer work, plan, or dream…look at what’s ahead.
2. OLD AGE, v3-5.
If we live, old age will be upon us, so very soon. This will not be a time of planning, of building. Solomon describes these coming days…
(A) THE KEEPERS OF THE HOUSE SHALL TREMBLE. This body we live in is referred to as a tabernacle, a HOUSE . What are the “keepers of the house?” The keepers are the arms and hands. If someone throws a punch, you raise your hands to protect the HOUSE. In your youth your hands and arms are strong. If you plan to use your hands to reach out to help someone, do it NOW. The time will come when the hands will tremble with age. No longer strong and able to reach out.
(B) THE STRONG MEN SHALL BOW THEMSELVES
What are the “strong Men?” These are the pillars under the house. These hold the house up. The strong men are the legs. While you are young you can walk, you can run, you can climb, and seemingly never tire.
While you have the days of youth, let your legs carry you to a Ministry for God somewhere. If we live, the days will come when we will no longer be able to run, or walk fast. Solomon says use your hands, arms, and legs for God. He continues to describe old age..
(C) GRINDERS CEASE BECAUSE THEY ARE FEW
What are the grinders? These are the teeth. “The sound of the grinding is low.” This describes the toothless chewing of food. In old age, it takes time just to eat a small meal. When you are young you can swallow two hamburgers in a moment. Not so in old age. You have to eat slowly, carefully. The digestive system is just not what it used to be.
(D) AND THEY THAT LOOK OUT OF THE WINDOWS SHALL BE DARKENED. In old age, eyesight fails. Vision dims. We are reminded by our Lord to “Look upon the fields white unto harvest.” While you are young let your eyes see the plan of God. Let your eyes be filled with tears as you see the lost condition of man. Let your eyes read, and feast on the Word of God, before they grow dim with age.
(E) THE DOORS SHALL BE SHUT IN THE STREET. In old age, the hearing dulls. No longer do you enjoy the sweet sounds about you. The hearing is gone. Like a closed door that shuts out sound. No longer can we hear the Macedonian call to “Come over and help us.”
(F) HE SHALL RISE AT THE VOICE OF A BIRD.
Old folks “get up with the chickens.” The inability to sleep, and rest well at night just fades away. You do not rest at night, only a couple of hours, and then nod and doze through the day
(G) THE DAUGHTERS OF MUSIC SHALL BE BROUGHT LOW. The daughters of music are the vocal cords. When you are young you can sing, yell, holler. But not so in old age. Use your voice for God.
(H) THEY SHALL BE AFRAID OF THAT WHICH IS HIGH. If you fall, you are afraid that something will be broken. Not the same as in youth when you could climb high with no fear.
(I) THE ALMOND TREE SHALL FLOURISH. I am told that this tree in full blossom has a snowy appearance. This pictures the gray hair.
(J) THE GRASSHOPPER SHALL BE A BURDEN. Little things will bother you. Little things you would never notice when you were young.
(K) DESIRE SHALL FAIL. All of the desire of youth will fail. You don’t find old folks planning to build a bridge, or do some great work
3. DEATH COMES.
“Mourners go about in the streets. Solomon describes the time of death..
(A)The Silver cord is loosed. The spinal cord collapses. No longer able to send strength to the limbs.
(B) THE GOLDEN BOWL BE BROKEN. The brain stops working. It no longer tells the rest of the body what to do.
(C) THE PITCHER IS BROKEN AT THE FOUNTAIN. The heart stops beating. In a lifetime that heart would fill 100 tank cars with blood…But it will stop.
(D)THE WHEEL BE BROKEN AT THE CISTERN. The lungs will fill with fluid and collapse.
“AND MOURNERS GO ABOUT IN THE STREETS.”
4. ETERNITY. “MAN GOETH TO HIS LONG HOME.” That “Long Home” is where he spends eternity. If a man, or woman has received Christ, his “Long Home” will be Heaven with the Redeemed. If a man or woman has rejected Christ, there is no other place but hell. It’s Heaven, or Hell. What we have done with Jesus Christ makes the difference in our “Long Home.”
The admonition is simple REMEMBER NOW thy Creator. While you can. While you have your youth. Use your hands for God. Let your legs carry you with the Gospel. Let your eyes see the needs of the masses of the world. Let your voice be heard in service for God. Let your ears hear the cry of the nations without God. May your dreams, plans, vision all include God. When life is over and you stand before Him, you will be so glad that you REMEMBERED THY CREATOR IN DAYS OF YOUTH.
“For I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, for it is the Power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth, to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.” Ro. 1:16
Paul was not ashamed of the Gospel. We should never be ashamed of the Gospel of Christ, for it is the only means whereby sinners can be saved. The Gospel is the Truth that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He arose from the dead on the third day. Christ paid for all our sin. There is no other payment for sin. There is no other way. Trusting completely in the Gospel of Christ is God’s only way of Salvation.
REMEMBER THY CREATOR
By Pastor George Mills
Remember now, in days of youth,
The Creator of us all,
And spend thy days to spread his Truth
To each one, great or small.
While hearing keen, and eyes are bright,
While legs are strong and true,
As helping hands hold forth the Light,
And with a strong voice too.
Before the days of youth are gone,
And age takes all it’s fare,
And hands no longer quick to help,
And legs not strong to bear.
Before I reach that long, long home,
Before my youth is past,
I give myself to God alone,
And on Him I do cast;
Myself, my time, my talent small,
To use as He knows best,
Before I hear that final call,
And enter Heaven’s Rest.
THINK ABOUT IT…Today is the tomorrow you were thinking about yesterday
AND THE WORLD IS A WILDERNESS…It is no friend to the Christian. The world and it’s system seeks to crucify us. Our hope is in the Crucified, Risen One.
Do you know what it means to be saved? That is, to be saved from the PENALTY and POWER of sin?
1. REALIZE that you are a sinner in God’s sight. All of us are born sinners. “All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.” (Ro. 3:23.
2. RECOGNIZE that the wages of sin is death. Christ died on the Cross and rose again from the dead in full payment for our sin. Christ’s death and resurrection is the only atonement for our sin. (Ro. 6:23)
3. RECEIVE Jesus Christ as you own Personal Saviour. God has finished the way of salvation in the Person of Jesus Christ. You cannot earn Salvation by Baptism, confession, attending the Mass, or any other rites or rituals. You, as a REPENTENT sinner MUST ask God for His Grace to save you. “But as many as received Him to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name.” (Jn 1:12) You may ask, “How do I receive Christ?” Tell Him that you receive Him. The Bible says, “ask, and ye shall receive.” Just saying words, or repeating some prayer are not enough. You must come to God with a sincere, honest heart.
4. REJOICE in a new life in Christ! Begin TODAY to live FOREVER!
God bless you. Trusting that you received Christ today.