Vol. 31, No. 11 November, 2007
THE SECURITY OF THE BELIEVER
By Pastor George Mills
“But I have prayed for thee..”(Lk 22:32)
Perhaps the greatest issue for the new convert is to settle in his/her heart, once for all, the issue of SECURITY. I speak, and write from personal experience. I have been taught both sides of this issue. I am so glad that some things in my life are settled…
1. The PERSON of Jesus Christ. He is the Revelation of the Eternal God. He is “the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature.” (Col 1:15). He is the ONLY hope of Salvation, our ONLY access to God; “For through Him (Jesus) we both, (Jew and Gentile) have access by one Spirit unto the Father.” (Eph. 2:11-19) He is settled in my life as my Lord and Saviour.
2. The PURITY of the Word of God. “Thy Word is very pure,” (Psa 119:140). “The Words of the Lord are pure Words, as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.” (Psa.12:6). Of course, I am speaking of the Received Text (KJV) passed to us through the centuries, and NOT this junk
labeled as “Bible” being offered on the market today.
3. The PRESERVATION of the Saints. NOT perseverance of the saints. (Jude 1) “He is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of His Glory, with exceeding joy” (Jude 24-25).
Now, these things are settled in my life. I trust they can be settled for you today.
FIRST, let us nail down our Salvation. Be SURE that you are saved. Being saved is NOT joining some Church, not repeating some prayer. Not signing a card, not cleaning up your life, not being baptized, or one of thousands of things man can do. Being saved is NOT being rescued from some tragedy, such as, you were drowning, and someone threw you a life preserver. Being saved is being delivered from the PENALTY, and POWER of sin.
What does the Bible say about being Saved from sin?
1. RECOGNIZE that YOU need to be saved. The Bible says, “There is none righteous, no not one.” (Ro. 3:10). “ALL have sinned and come short of the Glory of God.” (Ro. 3:23) Adam sinned and incurred a sinful nature. Adam’s sinful nature is passed on to all mankind,
2. REALIZE that CHRIST ALONE can save you. You cannot save yourself from the PENALTY and POWER of sin. “Not by works of righteousness which WE have done, but according to His Mercy He saved us…”(Ti. 3:5) “For by Grace are ye saved through Faith and that NOT of yourselves, it is the Gift of God. Not of works lest anyone should boast.” (Eph 2:8-9)
3. RECEIVE. We must by Faith alone, RECEIVE Christ as our Saviour. “But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name.” (John 1:12). “How do I receive Him?” Just tell Him that you receive Him. He is there, where you are in the Person of the Holy Spirit. He will hear the cry of the REPENTANT heart. Now, if you agree with what God says about you, about Christ, and about Salvation, and you have trusted Christ alone to save you, then, according to the Bible, you have ETERNAL SALVATION. The Bible says that you have,
(A) EVERLASTING LIFE. John3:16, John 5:24. Everlasting Life is a PRESENT POSSESSION.
(B) ETERNAL LIFE. “And this is the record that God hath given to us ETERNAL LIFE, and this life is in His Son.” (1Jn 5:11)
The Believer has, right now, Today, ETERNAL, EVERLASTING LIFE.
EVERLASTING is the length, ETERNAL is the quality. Now, if you have received Christ as we have discussed, let me share with you some things for you to know about your SECURITY in CHRIST.
1. YOUR SECURITY IS IN THE PRESENCE OF THE HOLY SPIRIT. When you said “yes” to Christ. When you believed with your heart, the Holy Spirit came to dwell in your life. Now that’s a matter of FACT and not feelings. There is nothing about tongues, utterances, emotions, or some other “experience” man may claim. The FACT is that the Holy Spirit came into your life when you got saved. And He will be with you Always until He escorts you into God’s presence, (Ro 8:11).
“In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the Gospel of your Salvation, in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise.” (Eph 1:13). John 6:27, Eph 4:30, 2Tim. 2:19.
The Holy Spirit is your SEAL. “And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God whereby ye are SEALED unto the day of redemption.” A Seal means OWNERSHIP. God owns the believer. Christ purchased us with His own Blood. In Rev. 5, a search was made through Heaven, earth, and under the earth for someone who had the power to break the Seal of God. Not one was found. Hallelujah to God!
The Holy Spirit is your WITNESS. “The Spirit itself beareth WITNESS with our spirit that we are children of God.”(Ro 8:16) The indwelling Holy Spirit will not let you doubt for long. We are human, and there will be times of doubt and concern. But the Holy Spirit will not let those doubts linger. The Holy Spirit will whisper, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus!
The Holy Spirit is your COMFORTER. “And I will pray the Father, and that He shall give you another Comforter that He may abide with you forever.” (Jn 14:16) “I will not leave you comfortless, I will come to you.” (Jn 14:18) One who helps in our infirmity. Like an advocate, or lawyer. We are never alone. He aids us in our prayer life (Ro 8:26). The ONLY Holy Place on this earth is that place in the life of the believer where the Holy Spirit dwells to be our Comforter.
The Holy Spirit is our EARNEST. “Who has sealed us and given the EARNEST of the Holy Spirit in our hearts.” (2Cor 1:22) “Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God who also hath given us the EARNEST of the Spirit. The word “Earnest” has the same meaning as GUARANTEE. If I agree to buy something from you for one hundred dollars, but I have only ten dollars with me, and I ask you to take this ten dollars and hold the item for me until I return from the bank with the balance, that ten dollars is EARNEST MONEY. It is my guarantee that I will return and complete the bargain. The Holy Spirit in us is god’s guarantee that He will complete the work He began in us. (Phil. 1:6). The Holy Spirit is all of these and so much more. Learn to listen to Him as He seeks to guide. Follow His impulses.
2. YOUR SECURITY IS IN THE PRAYERS OF JESUS.
Jesus said to Peter, “I HAVE PRAYED FOR THEE, that thy faith fail not, and when thou are converted, strengthen thy brethren.” Peter’s faith grew weak, and faint. Peter faltered, and Peter failed, but his faith did not fail. Hear him confess three times, “Yea Lord, Thou knowest that I love thee.” Jesus answered, “Feed my sheep.” In the great High Priestly Prayer of Jesus in John 17, He prays first for Himself, “Father, the hour is come, Glorify Thy Son.” V1-5.
He prays for His disciples, v6-19. He did not pray for the world, (populations) He died for the world. He prayed that His disciples would be Sanctified, and kept in His Name. And He prayed for His Church in v20-26. “Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on Me through their word.” Think about that, Jesus, on His way to the Cross, by way of Gethsemane, PRAYED FOR ME!
Jesus prayed beside a grave, in John 11:35-44. He “Lifted up His eyes and said, Father I thank Thee that Thou hast heard me. And I knew that Thou hearest me always.” Jesus prayed for us that we would be kept.
His Ministry of prayer never stopped. He is our Great Eternal High Priest. “For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands which are the figures of the true, but into Heaven itself to appear in the presence of God for us.” (Heb 9:24) See Heb 1:3, 4:14-16, 7:23-28, I John 2:1-2). Our Security is as safe as the Prayers of our Saviour. He is on the job continually. He has never lost a case.
3. YOUR SECURITY IS IN THE PROMISES OF GOD.
We have already stated that the Believer has EVERLASTING LIFE, John 3:16, and that the believer has (present tense) ETERNAL LIFE, John 10:28.
These are promises from One who cannot lie. “That by two immutable things for which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us.” (Heb 6:17-20). Some of the more common verses and passages more commonly used in the assurance of our security would include John 1:12-13, John 3:16, 18, 36. 5:24, 6:37, 10:27-30. There are so many, many more precious promises. Perhaps my favorite passage is the one found in Romans, Ch. 8:30-39.
Paul asks, and answers four questions,
1. “Who can be against us?” v31-32. He has already given us His Son, the best Heaven has. He will freely give us everything we need.
2.”Who can lay anything to the charge of God’s elect? V33. God has justified, who can indict us? “Blessed is the man to whom the Lord WILL NOT impute sin, (Ro. 4:1-8) Sin is not charged to the believer’s account. Christ bore our sin on the cross. We have been justified.
3. “Who is he that condemneth? (v34). Who can condemn us? Christ died for us and is now at the right hand of the Father to intercede for us.
4. “Who shall separate us? (v35-39) Shall the normal trials, distresses and tribulations that come with just being a Christian sever our relationship with Christ? Never! These things only make us stronger. We are more than conquerors.
(a)Neither death…When we close our eyes in death, there will be no unseen thing there, no demon, and no angelic power, to separate us from our Saviour.
(b) Nor life. Nothing in this life, no, not governments, nor rulers, nor principalities in the Satanic realm of authority, no power, past, present, or potential. If we soar to the heights of the Heavenlies, we can find nothing there to separate us. If we dig to the deepest part of the earth, we can find nothing there to separate us. And just in case Paul had overlooked someone. Or some thing, he added “NOR ANY OTHER CREATURE shall separate us from the Love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
Jesus said, “Neither shall any man pluck them out of My hand.”
Now, Ain’t God good! Hallelujah, What a Saviour!
Why not take these precious promises and build a life of assurance, and peace, and safety.
“Now preacher, you have just given your readers a license to sin. Just live it up. You’re going to wind up in Heaven anyway. Just go live like you want to.”
If you can read that into this message, something is wrong with your reader. Nowhere does the Bible give us license to sin. We have been born again. Liberty to sin is not liberty, it is bondage. We are new in Christ.
Why would anyone preach sermons, write articles, and books on the Insecurity of the believer? Why would someone spend money on books that promote “A FAILING CHRIST?” or “A POWERLESS CHRIST?” Thank God for His Eternal Salvation bought and paid for in the Sacrifice of Christ.
And while I believe in the SECURITY of the BELIEVER, I also believe in the INSECURITY of the UNBELIEVER. My friend, there is no security in your future except you turn to Christ Today! Accept His offer of ETERNAL SALVATION, as a FREE GIFT! May God help you to do that just now.
Christian, you are now a citizen of Heaven. Live like it, and enjoy your trip.
THINK ABOUT IT…If you ever walk the street of that Heavenly Place, it will NOT be because you were faithful, or that you held on to the very end, or that you did your part. If you reach that Fair Land it will be because of the Faithfulness of Christ.
AND THE WORLD IS A WILDERNESS…It is no friend to the Christian. The noise of the “religious” world will rob you of the joy of your Salvation. Rest in the sweet peace that Jesus gives, knowing that He will finish that which He started for you!
WANDERING THROUGH THE WILDERNESS….Pastor Mills
Concerning our name; WILDERNESS..
Many years ago I adopted the name “WILDERNESS” for our ministry of evangelism. This is taken from the text
in Isaiah 14:17 concerning the fall of Lucifer. The text says, “That made the world as a WILDERNESS.” There is no greater truth than that. This world is a WILDERNESS of sin. We are A voice crying in this WILDERNESS. We are trying to reach as far as we can, while we can.
From time to time, some ask for permission to use our material, or to download from the computer. Of course, we do not mind that. The WILDERNESS is sent out with the three-fold purpose listed on the back page. If your purpose is our purpose, certainly we do not object for any material to be used. In fact, we are glad our materials are used.
ATTENTION “BIBLE CORRECTORS”… There is no need for you to send me your material. That’s a waste of money and time. I believe that I have read just about all of the arguments. You have come along too late in life to convince me that there are errors in the King James Bible. If you are saved, the chances are very, very great that someone led you to Christ by using the King James Bible. If it was good enough at the start, it will be good enough all the way home, IF you are saved. As I have said before in past issues of the WILDERNESS, the King James Bible is from the RECEIVED TEXT. This is the Text from the Apostles, and passed to the Churches, and on through the fires and came to us intact, (Psa 12:6-7). These new “bibles” come from a Text born in the late 19th century. Actually, the CRITICAL TEXT which produced these “bibles” was born in Apostasy in Egypt. These two Texts are NOT THE SAME. To try to make certain corrections in the Received Text by using the Critical Text makes about as much sense as making corrections in the Dictionary by using the Phone Book. Both are in alphabetical order, but that’s where the similarities end. These new “versions” which, by the way, do NOT agree with each other, are NOT modern language up-dates of the King James Bible, these are from a corrupt text, written by Apostates, and promoted by Apostates. If there is something wrong with the Bible, then we both have a problem. Since there is nothing wrong with my Bible, (KJV) I have no problem. God promised to preserve His Word, but the world keeps searching, and searching. More ‘versions” are coming. The antichrist will have no problem when he arrives.
ON EAGLE’S WINGS
By Pastor George Mills
The Eagle is a special bird, so majestic that our forefathers selected the Bald eagle as the symbol of this nation. Benjamin Franklin thought that the wild turkey would be a better symbol, but he was out-voted. I love the Eagle. I have several photographs of Eagles on my office wall. Some time ago I started collecting Eagle figurines. Some are glass, some are porcelain. I have quite a few in my collection. I am glad that our forefathers selected this great bird as the symbol of America. The Eagle has some wonderful characteristics. For instance, the Eagle mates for life, now, that ought to tell us something. The Eagle is an excellent parent, and although very powerful, the Eagle kills only for food or to protect itself. God used the eagle to illustrate His care for Israel; “I bare you on Eagle’s wings, and brought you unto myself.” (Ex 19:4) The four beasts in Revelation 4 picture the attributes of God. One beast was like a Lion, speaking of His Kingship. One beast was like a calf, speaking of His sacrifice for our sins. One beast had the face of a man, speaking of His humanity. The fourth beast was like a flying Eagle, speaking of His supremacy. Our text in Isaiah says, “They shall mount up with wings as Eagles.” This pictures the Spirit filled believer as he soars high above the circumstances down here.
What does it mean, “To wait upon the Lord?” I believe that to wait has a two fold meaning…
A. To wait, means to watch and pray. Mt. 26:38-43, Jesus said, “Tarry (wait) ye here and watch with me.” We all know the rest of the story. The disciples fell asleep as the Lord prayed that great intercessory prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane. The disciples failed that night because of their prayer failure.
B. To “WAIT” also carries with it the idea of being busy. First Thessalonians, ch. 1 describes that small church enduring great persecutions, but they were sending the Gospel to the known world. And while they were busy, they were WAITING for the return of Christ. They were not waiting or looking for the antichrist, or the great tribulation, they were waiting for the return of our lord.
So, to WAIT means to have an active prayer life, and at the same time busy in spreading the Gospel.
FOUR THINGS THAT WILL HAPPEN TO THOSE WHO WAIT UPON THE LORD…
1. THEY SHALL RENEW THEIR STRENGTH, (POWER) Isaiah 40:31. We cannot win today’s battles on yesterday’s strength. We need a daily filling of the Holy Spirit (Eph 5:1-18). The Lord Jesus instructed His disciples to tarry (Wait) until they were endued with power. In the Book of Acts, you will find the believers coming together in prayer for Holy Spirit Power, (Acts 4:23-31). We are no match for the enemy without the Power of the Holy Spirit
2. THEY SHALL MOUNT UP WITH WINGS AS EAGLES. Just a few thoughts about the Eagle…
A. The Eagle is free. He soars high above the circumstances. He flies high and free on the wind currents. The Wind speaks of the Holy Spirit. What a picture of the spirit filled believer.
B. The Eagle is powerful. He is able to attack larger animals, some much larger than himself. Another picture of the Believer standing against the wiles of the devil. (Eph 6:12)
C. The Eagle is fearless. He has no fear in attacking a poisonous snake. He will attack, kill, and take his prey home for food. The Spirit filled believer need never fear, for “God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind..” (2Tim 1:7)
D. The Eagle has great vision. He can see the desert floor from high aloft. And so it is with the Spirit filled believer. We can see the world conditions, because we see through the Scriptures.
E. The Eagle lives separately. You will not find an Eagle trying to fellowship with buzzards, or crows, or ravens, or sparrows, or ducks. You will find the Eagle with his own kind. And so it is with the Spirit filled believer. Our fellowship is not with this world’s system, ideologies, and styles. Let the believer soar high, above the level of this world’s system.
3. THEY SHALL RUN. (Isaiah 40:31) This speaks of the race set before us, (Heb 12:1-2). Paul used the figure of a runner several times in his writings. “I therefore so run, not as uncertainly.” (1Cor 9:26). We are in a race with TIME and TIME is running out. Find your place, run the race, and stay with it.
4. THEY SHALL WALK AND NOT FAINT. The walk speaks of our “walk of faith.” “For we walk by faith and not by sight.” (2Cor.5:7). The Spirit filled believer will walk by Faith. If he feels good, or bad, he will keep his eyes on Christ, and will walk steadily and not waver.
They SHALL be re-newed, They SHALL mount up, they SHALL run, and they SHALL walk. And how is it with you my friend? Don’t let the devil and his crowd defeat you. Ask God to help you soar on high, like the Eagle. See Luke 11:11-13.
ON EAGLE’S WINGS
By Pastor George Mills
“They shall mount up with wings as Eagles.”
Wait upon the Lord and pray,
For His Power to restore.
And His strength will make thee stay,
Up where the Eagles soar.
“I’ll bear thee up on Eagle’s wings,
I’ll hold thee in my hand,
I’ll make the longing heart to sing,
Within a barren land.
On Eagle’s wings, God brought me out,
My strength He did renew,
To run, while Satan walks about,
My steps, God keeps them true.
With everlasting arms beneath,
And wings of Grace above,
Ever growing in belief,
And protected by His Love.
Now, with shouts of joy and praise,
How gladly my heart sings,
To Him on High, our hands we raise,
As we soar on Eagle’s wings.
(from the WILDERNESS, July 1997)
(Ex. 19:4, Dt. 33:27, Isa. 40:31, 1Pet. 5:8)