Vol. 30, No. 3 March, 2006
By Pastor George Mills
“For if when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of His Son, MUCH MORE being reconciled we shall be saved by His life.” (Ro 5:10)
The Book of Romans is a marvelous Gift of Grace. I am convinced that if I had the choice of having only one Book of the Bible, (KJV) that choice would be the Book of Romans. Romans begins with SIN, How we became sinners, (Chs 1-3). And then SALVATION, How we are saved, giving the salvation experience of Abraham ,(chs 4-5). Then SANCTIFICATION, (chs 6-8). How we are to grow and live in the fullness of the Spirit of Chapter 8. SOVERIGNTY, (chs 9-11 ) God’s dealing with Israel in this age while He is calling from all nations a people for His Name called the Church. And ending with SERVICE, (chs 12-16). I like the example of Abraham’s salvation experience that Paul gives in Ch 4. This gives us the foundation of the MUCH MORE’S of Ch. 5. Justification by Grace through Faith alone. Let us see some of the Things in the life of Abraham and briefly discuss them. Now, I am not going to bring some new, or strange doctrine. I am going to tell you what the Bible says about Abraham and his Salvation experience. We are saved just like Abraham was saved. Abraham was saved by Grace through Faith alone, (Ro 4:1-8) We are saved by Grace through Faith alone. (Eph 2:8-9). The Bible gives us the salvation experience of Abraham in Genesis 15, Romans 4, James 2:23. Abraham was saved WHEN HE BELIEVED GOD. I strongly believe that some of you who are reading this today have never trusted Christ as Saviour. Some of you may well be very serious. Some of you may well be very active in a church program. Some of you may even be in the ministry, and still not be saved. Down through the years I have met and spoke with some who confessed that they were very active in church for many years, and some who were preachers who had not received Christ until some time later in life. You may have believed that you were doing the right thing, that you were sincere in what you were, or are doing, but you may be sincerely wrong, and that is true if you have not received Christ. I believe that Abraham fits in that kind of situation. Let us walk with Abraham for a while. Let us enjoy His glorious salvation experience in Genesis 15. First, we see Abraham, (Abram) in Genesis 11:27-32. In Genesis 12, The Bible says that God HAD spoken to Abram. In Genesis 12, God speaks to his heart again and made the great promise, “I WILL.” I do not believe that Abraham was saved in Ch 12 when God spoke to him. I do not believe that he was saved when he went into Egypt, and lied to Pharaoh. I believe that God was dealing with his heart, just like He patiently deals with hearts today. I do not believe that Abraham was saved in Genesis 13:1-4 when he built an alter, or when he separated himself from his nephew Lot. The promises of God in Genesis 13:14-18 continue to be “I WILL.” God is saying, “Trust me, and I will.” I do not believe that Abraham was saved when he rescued Lot, in Ch 14, nor do I believe that he was saved when he paid tithes to Melchizedek. The BIBLE says that Abraham was saved in Genesis 15. “AND HE BELIEVED IN THE LORD AND HE COUNTED IT TO HIM FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS.” (Gen 15:1-6) See also Romans 4, James 3:23. At least three times the Bible (KJV) states that Abraham was saved in Genesis 15. God Imputed righteousness to Abraham when Abraham believed God. In Genesis 15, when Abram fell into deep sleep, God Himself passed through the sacrifices in the smoking furnace and burning lamp confirming the covenant of GRACE He made with Abram. And now the promises of God are no longer, “I WILL GIVE” but the promises are “I HAVE GIVEN,” (Gen 15:18). Abraham was NOT saved by keeping the Law, for the Law was not yet given. Abraham was NOT saved by circumcision. Abram was circumcised to seal the bargain and his name changed to Abraham AFTER he believed God. I can almost hear, “but: “but” “But.” All that I can say is, Just read the Bible. The Bible (KJV) says in Genesis 15, that “Abram Believed” Now, that’s what the BIBLE says. The lesson then is simple. You can be many things and still not be saved. Many, many, many poor church members out there have never been saved. Some are teachers, and preachers, but not saved. God imputed righteousness to Abraham WHEN he believed the message God revealed to him. (Genesis 15) God imputes Righteousness to everyone WHEN we believe in the message about Jesus Christ, His Sacrificial death on the cross for our sin, and His Resurrection from the dead, (1Cor 15:1-4). So, now that we have established the fact that Abraham was saved in Genesis 15. Again, CHECK YOUR BIBLE. WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY? Now let’s go on with the MUCH MORE’S, in Christ.
1. MUCH MORE, The Reconciliation.
“MUCH MORE being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if, when we were enemies, we were RECONCILED to God by the death of His Son, much more being RECONCILED we shall be saved by His life.?” (Ro 5:9-10). The word “reconciliation” means “a restoration between parties.” The Bible says that we were enemies. There was enmity between God and man since man sinned against God in the Garden of Eden. There has been a warfare. God made provision for each of us to settle that warfare. That provision is the finished work of the Cross. “And having made peace through the Blood of His Cross by Him to RECONCILE all things unto Himself, by Him, I say, whether they be things in earth or things in Heaven. And you that were sometimes alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works hath He reconciled.” ( Col 1:20-21). There was no way for man to get to God. No, not by any effort of man, or by what we call “good works” of any kind. “God was in Christ reconciling the world unto Himself.” (2Cor 5:19). Now, in Christ, the Cross has bridged that awful chasm between God and man. MUCH MORE in Christ.
2. MUCH MORE, the Resurrection.
“For if when we were enemies we were reconciled by the death of His Son, MUCH MORE we shall be saved by His Life.” (R0 5:10). We are saved from the awful PENALTY of sin by the Cross. We are saved from the POWER of sin by the Resurrection. Paul said, “I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet, not I, but Christ liveth in me. And the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the Faith of the Son of God who loved me, and gave Himself for me.” The resurrected Life of Christ, in the Holy Spirit, living in the believer gives strength to live for God day by day. Before the Cross of Christ, Abraham saw the cross in a figure, or in type when he offered his son Isaac, in Hebrews 11:17-19. The living Christ is the fulfillment of every Old Testament sacrifice. MUCH MORE, the Resurrection. Why go back, or stay with the shadows or types. (Heb 6:1-3)
3. MUCH MORE, the Righteousness.
“For if by one man’s offence death reigned by one, MUCH MORE they which receive abundance of Grace and of the Gift of RIGHTEOUSNESS shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.?”(Ro. 5:17). Before he believed God, (Gen 15:6) Abraham, like every man born of Adam’s race had no righteousness. The instant Abraham believed God, Righteousness was imputed to Abraham. Again, read the texts, (Gen 15, Romans 4, James 3:23) Imputed Righteousness is God counting the believer in Christ as Righteous. In Christ we stand Justified, and Righteous. The Law has been satisfied. Now, there is no condemnation. (Ro 8:1). Now, we can understand what Paul meant when he wrote, “And be found in Him, not having mine own righteousness which is of the Law, but that which is through the Faith of Christ, the Righteousness which is of God by Faith.
4. MUCH MORE, the Rewards.
“But not as the offence, so also is the FREE GIFT. For if through the offence of one many be dead, MUCH MORE the Grace of God and the GIFT by Grace which is by one man, Jesus.” (Ro 5:15). If Abraham were saved some other way than Faith in God, Abraham would have something to brag about. But not so. Paul says in Ro. 4:4-5, “Now to him that WORKETH is the REWARD NOT reckoned of Grace, but of debt. But to him that WORKETH NOT, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.” Salvation is NOT something that you work for, or that you earn. God is indebted to no one. The rewards of simple faith are many, but the greatest Gift is the Gift of Grace. Grace is the unmerited favor of God in that, He justifies the sinner, makes that sinner as though he never sinned. Halleluiah To God! The Blessing of Abraham mentioned in Galatians 3:14 is NOT riches, houses, lands, etc, as many of the TV “preachers” promote today. The Blessing of Abraham is the Gift of Salvation by Grace alone, through Faith alone, to all who will Believe God. And now the rewards of God in the life of Abraham are positive. Before, God had said to Abraham, “I WILL give.” Now, in Gen. 15:18, AFTER Abraham believed God, (Gen 15:6, Ro 4:3, James 2:23) The Promise is “I HAVE given.” “For all the promises of God in Him are yea, and in Him Amen, unto the Glory of God by us.” (2Cor 1:20)
5. MUCH MORE, the Reign.
“For as by one man’s offence death REIGNED by one, MUCH MORE they which receive abundance of Grace and of the Gift of righteousness shall REIGN in life by one, Jesus Christ.” (Ro 5:17).
(A) FIRST, there is the REIGN OF DEATH. Death has reigned in every life since Adam sinned. God said, “In the day thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.”(Gen 2:17) Adam died spiritually when he disobeyed God. Adam died physically some years later. “Wherefore as by one man (Adam) sin entered into the world, and death by sin, and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned. “(Ro 5:12). So death reigns in every life. Each of us will die. That’s the natural result of sin.
(B) And then there is the REIGN OF GRACE. Sin reigns in every life, but thank God for the super reign of Grace. “As sin reigned unto death, even so might Grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.” (Ro 5:21) “Where sin abounded, Grace did much more abound.”
6. MUCH MORE, the Representative.
“For if the blood of bulls and of goats and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh. How MUCH MORE shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God purge your conscience from dead works to serve the Living God.” (Heb 9:13-14). Today we have One who REPRESENTS us in Heaven constantly interceding for the believer. After His death on the Cross, Christ entered the Holy Place in Heaven with His own blood, and there, on the Heavenly Mercy seat, His Blood was applied. Christ is now seated at the Right hand of God as our Eternal High Priest. Far above all principalities and worldly powers. Our security is there, in Heaven. MUCH MORE, MUCH , MUCH MORE, IN CHRIST.
The message is clear, and unmistakable. You can be “religious” but lost. You can be busy doing “good things” and neglect doing the Best thing, and that is, responding to the voice of the Holy Spirit as He speaks to your heart. He is there, where you are. He has been there for a long time, waiting for your invitation. He will never knock down the barriers in your life and come in unbidden. We must ask Him in. The Bible says, “But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that “Ask, and ye shall receive.” Ask Christ into your heart today. Tell Him, in your own words that you believe that He died for your sin, That He was buried, and that He arose from the dead. He is as good as His Word. He will save you Today. You can begin TODAY to live FOREVER!
7. MUCH MORE, the Regret. “See that ye refuse not Him that speaketh. For if they escaped not who refused Him that spake on earth, MUCH MORE shall not we escape, if we turn away from Him that speaketh from Heaven.” (Heb 12:25).
Many have walked away from the invitation of God, only to live a life of REGRET. And now, too late, hopeless, lost for all eternity, they REGRET. Someone has rightly said that the road to hell is paved with neglect. Do not neglect to hear His voice TODAY!
THINK ABOUT IT…It seems as though Abraham’s thinking was, “God show me, and I will believe.” God was saying, “Believe me, and I will show you.”
Is this your thinking? If so, Believe what God has said about Salvation, and He will show you the goodness of Salvation.
AND THE WORLD IS A WILDERNESS.. It is no friend to the Christian. Sometimes the world and all it’s glitter and glamour looks good, that is, until we see it as it is. Let us keep our eyes on Christ and see Him as He is. Only then can we see the world and all of it’s deception as it is.
We do not take for granted your kind words, letters, and calls of encouragement about this Ministry. THANK YOU so much. Please pray with us. We are bringing up our Internet site again. I hope to have a voice message on this site very soon. I invite you to visit our web-site, and I urge you to tell others about it. Our address is on the back page of this publication. We are trusting that we can, again, touch lives all over the world. Your gifts and offerings are needed and appreciated, far more than you know. THANK YOU.
By Pastor George Mills
“But where sin abounded, Grace did MUCH MORE abound.”(Ro.5:20)
Much More, Much More. What Love and Grace,
Much More in Christ, the Lord.
Much More. For man, Salvation’s plan,
In Christ, the Living Word.
O Law, so stern, so hard to keep,
So many times I tried.
But in God’s plan, for fallen man,
The Law, Christ satisfied.
O Faith that opened blinded eyes,
And now I plainly see.
My way now clear, For Christ is near,
Much More, He rescued me.
O Calvary’s Hill that lights our way,
To that bright crimson flood.
In Peace I rest, my soul is blest,
Much More, Much More, the Blood.
O Love that reached so far below,
God came to fallen man.
To take our place, to show us Grace,
Much More, Salvation’s Plan.
O Grace that gives without a cost,
Because of Calvary’s flood,
Our search is o’er, in Christ Much More,
Much More, Much More, the Blood.
Much More, Much More, the tomb is bare,
It’s empty, not a trace.
Sin rolled away, the price He did pay,
Much More, that empty place.
Much More the Love, Much More the Blood,
Much More, the Price He paid.
For Love He lives, and Love forgives,
On Him, all sin was laid.
Much More to live, Much More to gain,
Much More to Glorify,
To know He came, and took my blame,
And for me, that He did die.
In Peace I lay me down to rest,
My endless search is o’er.
Christ by my side, His Word to guide,
In Christ, so Much, Much more.
“Much more being reconciled we shall be saved by His Life”(Ro 5:10)
WHAT KIND OF FAITH DO YOU HAVE? By Pastor George Mills
A DEAD FAITH? or
A DEMONIC FAITH? or
A DYNAMIC FAITH?
Let each of us today examine our faith. What kind of faith do I have?
In the little Epistle of James, the writer lists all three kinds of faith
1. A DEAD FAITH. “Even so, faith without works is dead.” A DEAD FAITH .” What doth it profit my brethren though a man say he hath faith and have not works? Can faith save Him?” If a brother or sister be naked and destitute of daily food. And one of you say depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled, notwithstanding ye gave them not those things which are needful for the body. What doth it profit?” The lesson is clear and plain. Just because we say we are Christian, but there is no outward evidence. We do not attend Church, We do not care about the spiritual welfare of others. We have no concern for missions. In other words, if the world cannot see Christ in us, ours is a DEAD FAITH. James went on to say, “Shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.”( Ja 2:18) Now, if you have to be pumped, and primed, and visited over and over in order to get you to attend Church at least once a month, Best you check up and see what kind of faith you have. Remember, “Faith without works is dead.” Do you have that DEAD FAITH? “Oh, I worship God , but I worship God MY way.” Or “I have a worship service in front of the TV set at home.” If we worship God, and our worship is acceptable to God, we must worship Him in His way. “God is a Spirit, and they that worship Him MUST worship in Spirit and in Truth.” (Jn 4:24) If we do not follow God’s plan for worship in the meeting of the local assembly, on the first day of the week, and proving our faith every day of the week, I am afraid that we have what James called “DEAD FAITH.” “Can that faith save Him?” Is there any evidence of salvation in this kind of faith?
2. A DEMONIC FAITH. “Oh yes preacher, I believe in God.” “Yes, I believe that there is a God.””There must be a creator out there somewhere.” “Creation itself says that there must be a God.” “Anyone can look around a see that there is a God.” When you witness to others, you will commonly hear these kinds of statements. “Yes, I believe in God.” Check your Bible; “Thou believest that there is one God, thou doest well, the DEVILS also believe, and tremble.” ( Ja 2:19). Satan and his imps have more sense than many people on earth have. Demons believe, and tremble at the reality of God. In the very beginning, in the Garden of Eden, Satan was there to corrupt. He is very aware that God exists. He has opposed the plan of God since the beginning. During the earthly ministry of our Lord Jesus, satanic forces trembled before Him. See Mark 5:1-15. Satan knows that his time is limited, and yes, he believes in God. BUT, belief in God is NOT saving faith. Saving faith is a personal commitment to Jesus Christ. Saving Faith is receiving Christ as your Saviour. Demons, demonic forces cannot do that. Yes, they believe in God, but they are NOT saved.
3. A DYNAMIC FAITH. “And the scripture was fulfilled which saith Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness and he was called the Friend of God.” ( Ja 2:23). This is that DYNAMIC FAITH that believes God. This is that Faith that simply says, “Yes, Lord, I believe, I trust, I receive you alone.” No works on my part. It is not that I believe in God, but I believe God. DYNAMIC FAITH says, I believe what the Bible (KJV) says about Jesus Christ. I believe that He was born of a virgin, that He lived a sinless life, that He died on the Cross for my sin. I believe that I am a sinner by birth and by choice, and that I have nothing to offer God. I, right now, by Faith alone, receive Christ into my life as my Saviour. That’s DYNAMIC FAITH. This is the kind of Faith that causes God to call you His Friend. Now, what kind of Faith do you have?
1. A Faith without works? That’s DEAD FAITH. That kind of faith will never get you off the ground.
2. A Faith that merely says “God exists?” That?’s no more than the devil says. It’ll never get you off the ground.
3. A Faith that Believes God? A faith that goes much further than believing in God, this faith BELIEVES GOD. That’s DYNAMIC FAITH
Place your Faith in Christ today, Have that DYNAMIC FAITH, Begin TODAY to live FOREVER!
After the death of a noted Scottish Physician, when his books were opened and examined, several accounts were found to have written over them, in red ink,”FORGIVEN, TOO POOR TO PAY.” His wife was of a different disposition. She said, “These accounts must be paid.” She therefore sued for the money. The Judge asked her, “Is this your husbands writing in red ink?” She said “Yes.” “Then,” said he, “There is not a tribunal in all the land that can collect the debts on which he had written “Forgiven.” Likewise the Lord Jesus writes the word “FORGIVEN” across the ledger in Heaven when we receive Him as Personal Saviour. We are free from all condemnation.
AND THE WORLD IS A WILDERNESS… It is no friend to the Christian. This is especially true of the world’s music. “By the rivers of Babylon there we sat down, yea we wept when we remembered Zion. We hanged our harps upon the willows.”
This text is not out- dated, it is both timely and timeless. Too many of us have listened to the world?s music. Some have lost their song. They have “hanged their harps.” Memory has failed many. It is easy to forget that the music of this world is off-key, and not in tune with God. It is sad to see many of the churches of today bring into the services, the “Bee-bop, crash bang, sounds of the world. Some groups have so-called “Christian rock concerts” (There is no such thing). I listened as one preacher said, “We did away with all those old Hymns. This is the younger generation. We must let them bring their music in with them.” Many a young person has left a rock music concert only to be motivated by the words, and the beat of the music. The results are not very pleasant. Attracting a crowd does not mean that we are having Revival.
“Dear Lord, tune my heart today. Help tune out the world and it’s sounds. Let the song of the redeemed echo in me.”