Vol. 30, No. 1 January, 2006
OUR VINES HAVE TENDER GRAPES.
By Pastor George Mills
“The fig tree putteth forth her green leaves, and the vines with the tender grape have good smell. Arise my love, my fair one, and come away. O my dove, that are in the clefts of the rock, in the secret places of the stairs, let me see thy countenance, let me hear thy voice, for sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely. Take us the foxes, the little foxes that spoil the vines, for our vines have tender grapes. My beloved is mine, and I am his. He feedeth among the lilies. Until the day break, and the shadows flee away, turn, my beloved, and be thou like a roe, or a young hart upon the mountains of Bether.” (Song Of Solomon 2:13-17)
The beautiful Song Of Solomon does not make much sense unless you see in this Book the Relationship between Christ and His Church. Then the beauty of this small Book comes alive. This Book has many figures, or symbols of Christ and His Church. In our small text, Christ is pictured as the Roe. The Bride is pictured as the harmless Dove. There is a great concern that their relationship grows deeper and sweeter. Today, let us see the things that are expressed and examine our relationships. Let us be reminded that the Church, that is, the ones who are Born again, those who have received Christ as Personal Saviour. We have believed with our heart that He purchased us with His own blood on the cross of Calvary, We have believed in His bodily resurrection, and He has claimed us for His own. The Church is His Bride. “For I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.” (2Cor 11:2) “Husbands love your wives even as Christ also loved the Church and gave Himself for it. That He might sanctify it and cleanse it with the washing of the water by the Word. That He might present it to Himself a glorious Church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing, but that it should be holy and without blemish.” (Eph 6:25-27). “My beloved is mine, and I am His.”Now, let us see the Bride and her concern.
1. HER POSITION “O my dove that art in the clefts of the Rock.?” (v14) Of course, as you study your Bible, (KJV) you know that the Rock is Christ. Time and time again He is pictured as our Rock. He is that smitten Rock in the Wilderness, (Nu 20:10-13) (1Cor 10:4). Note that the Bride is pictured as
being”In the clefts of the Rock.” She is hidden in the wounds of Christ, the Rock. We are “In Him” We are accepted “In the beloved.” (Eph 1:6-7).
2. HER PRIVILEGES. “In the secret places of stairs.” (v14) Stairs speak of access. Not everyone has access. Only His Bride has access. “For through Him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.”(Eph 2:18) “If ye then being risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.” (Col 3:1) “Having therefore brethren boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus. By a new and living way which He hath consecrated for us through the veil, that is to say, his flesh.” (Heb 10:19-20).
3. HER PROTECTION. “My Beloved is mine, and I am His.” (v16) I am kept in His hand. Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice, AND THEY FOLLOW ME, (NOT “if”they follow, but they follow Me.) And I give unto them eternal life, and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father which gave them me is greater than all, and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’ s hand. I and my Father are one.” (Jn 10:27-30) The Bride is secure in her relationship to the Bridegroom.
4. HER PASSION. “Let me see Thy countenance, let me hear Thy voice, for sweet is Thy voice, and Thy countenance is comely.” (v14) “Lord, reveal yourself to me. Let me see you in your Beauty and Glory.” The 45 th Psalm is a Messianic Psalm and pictures a glorious relationship between a young King and his bride, which, of course, pictures the relationship between Christ and His Bride. The Church. “Thou art fairer than the children of men, Grace is poured into thy lips.” Today, we can behold the beauty of our Lord Jesus Christ as He is revealed in the Scriptures,(KJV). The beauty of His virgin birth, of His sinless Life, the beauty of His vicarious death on the Cross, and His Glorious Resurrection. We behold His beauty in the lives of his children. And His voice? His voice is heard in that deep inner voice of the Holy Spirit as He speaks to the soul. Oh yes, we can dimly see Him today, and we can hear Him today. And still we have the glorious promise, “Thine eyes shall see the King in His beauty, they shall behold the land that is very far off.”(Isa 33:17)
5. HER PATIENCE. “He feedeth among the lilies.” The Bridegroom is busy with His daily activities, “Until the day break, and the shadows flee away.” (v16-17). The Bride patiently waits for her lover, “Turn my beloved, and be thou like a roe or a young hart upon the mountains of Bether.” The mountains that separate us. We know that our Christ is busy today. He is our High Priest in Heaven. His Holy Spirit is sent into all the world to gather from all nations a Bride. Today, we pray with the Apostle John, “even so, come lord Jesus.” Today, we are separated from the Presence of Christ. Mountains separate us. But soon, and very soon, the Bridegroom will come for His own, and the Marriage of the Lamb will take place.
6. HER PRIORITIES. “OUR VINES HAVE TENDER GRAPES.”
“The foxes, the little foxes that spoil the vines” “The vines with the tender grape give a good smell.” The Bride is concerned about the small things that can creep in and cause damage. Their love is blossoming and nothing should be allowed to creep in and disrupt. There are three lovers who are forever after the affections of the Bride. These lovers seek to destroy the beauty of the sweetness of this relationship.
FIRST, there is the world. The world with all of it’s glory and enticements. The world and all of it’s excitements, it’s glitter and glamour. The world seeks our affections. The Bible is clear, “If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.” (Col 3:1-2).
SECOND, then there is the flesh. The flesh refers to the appetites of the old nature. They are still with us. They entice us. This is why the Bible (KJV) says that we are to “Mortify” or, to put to death, the deeds of the flesh, (Col 3:5-15).
THIRDLY, the Bible (KJV) says that the “devil, as a roaring lion walketh about seeking whom he may devour.”(1Pet 5:8).
All of these seek to draw away our affections. OUR VINES HAVE TENDER GRAPES. Let us work on the little things that seek to come in and destroy.
Do you tell Jesus every day that you love Him? Do you thank Him daily for your Salvation? Do you read your Bible (KJV) daily? Are you busy telling others about Him? Do you seek to keep your life spotless for Him? Are we presenting ourselves living sacrifices for Him? How about our home life. Is He the unseen guest at every meal? The silent listener to every conversation? Husbands, do our wives know that we love them? Wives, do your husbands know that you love them? Do our children, or grandchildren know that we love them? Are we kind and courteous? Let us remember that the Bride in our text was concerned about the “Little Foxes” the “little” unleft, unsaid things that spoil. Do we appreciate the kindnesses that are showered upon us daily?
“Our vines have tender grapes.” The aroma is a “good smell” “All thy garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the ivory palaces, whereby they have made thee glad.” (Ps 45).
My life is filled with sweetness and good things. I deserve none. But my life is full. It is all because of “Jesus Christ who loved me, and gave Himself for me.” One day, sweetness began to reign. Jesus came in. He taught me how to live and how to love. I want to keep that alive and more meaningful each day I live. Dear Lord, Help me watch for the “Little Foxes that spoil.”
And how about you? Do you personally know Jesus Christ? Have you asked Him into your heart? He is there, wherever you are, in the Person of the Holy Spirit. He wants to come into your life, but you must ask Him in. He will never knock down the barriers in your heart and barge in unbidden. Will you receive Him today? The Bible says, “But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His Name.” (Jn 1:12). You may ask, “How do I receive Him?” Just tell Him that you receive Him. “Ask and ye shall receive.” I trust that you will do that just now. Begin TODAY to live FOREVER!
THINK ABOUT IT…It was not the BIG thing I did. It was the SMALL thing that I did not do that led to the BIG thing that I did do. If I take care of the little things, there will be no big thing to go wrong.
THE VIRGIN BIRTH
By Pastor George Mills
“Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign; behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a Son, and shall call His Name Immanuel.”(Isa. 7:14).
We hold to the truth that the King James Bible is the Inspired, Preserved Word of God, (Psa 12:6-7) That It is Truth without mixture of error. YOU CAN TRUST YOUR BIBLE, (KJV), IT NEEDS NO CORRECTION. The new versions sometimes openly, and sometimes very subtle attack the Person and Work of Jesus Christ. Some of these “versions” substitute the words “young woman” for the word “virgin” in our text. The fact that a “young woman” conceives is no sign. This happens quite frequently. But a Virgin conceiving? well, that’s a different story. Our Lord Jesus was conceived by the Holy Ghost as the Bible says. But the thought does come to me; Did it ever occur to you that Mary might NOT have been a young woman when the Holy Spirit overshadowed her? In fact, she may have been much older then some think. Now, I am not trying to start a new denomination, or a new movement, BUT THINK ABOUT IT… Mary and Elisabeth were cousins. The angel that announced the conception of John the Baptist told Mary, “Behold thy cousin Elisabeth hath ALSO conceived a son in HER OLD AGE.”(Lk 1:36). If Mary was a young woman, she would probably run to her mother with the news, but she ran to her cousin Elisabeth, indicating to me that Mary’s Mother had already died. Cousins are usually about the same age. Many cousins grow up together. Most of my cousins are near my age. So, in light of what I have said, and in light of the way God moved with other miracle births, such as the birth of Isaac, Mary may NOT have been a young woman when she conceived The Holy Child Jesus in her womb. She may not have been a young woman, BUT SHE WAS A VIRGIN. The fact that she may have been older just makes the Miracle of the Virgin Birth of Christ more miraculous. Mary and Joseph had children after the birth of Christ (Mt 13:55-57). Joseph was NOT his parent as some “versions” say. Joseph, passing off the scene may also indicate that he too, was an older man. Anyway, I was just thinkin.. And when I get to thinkin.. well, that’s dangerous. I am just amazed at the attacks on the Word of God. So many “versions” today, and if we don’t like the one we have, well, just change it. After all, “THE GREEK SAYS”.. Just thinking!
Love your Bible, (KJV) There is nothing wrong with it. It brought us this far, and It will take us all the way Home!
THINK ABOUT IT.. In the beginning, Satan used a serpent in the Garden of Eden to corrupt the Word of God. Today, he uses the minds of educated men to do the same thing.
AND THE WORLD IS A WILDERNESS.. it is no friend to the Christian, and it is no friend to your Bible. When I began the Ministry over 40 years ago, we did not have all of this confusion. I know, there was the RSV, ASV, but we recognized these as not reliable. Today, over 40 versions on the market. God is NOT in all of this confusion over the Bible.
“IF THE FOUNDATIONS BE DESTROYED, WHAT CAN THE RIGHTEOUS DO?” (Psa. 11:3)
Foundations are being destroyed today. What can we do? This is one of the most provocative questions ever asked. What can we do? Today, let’s look at some of the foundations of our nation and see what is being destroyed. We are living in critical times.
1. THE HOME. At the foundation of any society is the home. This is the first Divine institution. In the very beginning, God established the home He brought man and woman together and established marriage. When God brought Eve to Adam, Adam said, “This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh. She shall be called woman because she was taken out of man. Therefore shall a man leave his father and his Mother and shall cleave unto his wife, and they shall be one flesh.” (Gen 2:21-24). This is basic to any society. The HOME, Marriage, One Man, one woman, one life. Today, marriage and the home are on the rocks. More than half of all marriages end in divorce. Jesus looked down through the ages and said that in the last days, the home would be under attack. “As it was in the days of Noah.” Read Genesis 6. Prior to the flood, the home and marriage were under attack. And today, well, just look about you. Today’s news is a commentary of what Jesus said some 2000 years ago.
The influence of television is of no help. The average child watches over 9000 hour of television by the time he starts to school. Many educators believe that a child has two thirds of his intellectual growth by the time he is six years old. By age 18 he has logged 25,000 hours of television. He has seen 350,000 TV commercials. Five violent acts per TV hour. The average adult watches TV 2 hours and 47 minutes per day. A University survey revealed that on Monday prime time, 1stabbing in the back, 3 suicides, 5 pushing off cliffs, or falling, 2 attempted vehicular murders, 12 major gunfights, 37 hand-to-hand fights, 2 stranglings, and 42 gun incidents. Only two of ten serious acts of mayhem showed lawful arrest. When you add to that the sex, bedroom scenes, the cursing, love affairs, mockery of the Bible, the beer commercials, alternate lifestyles, etc. And have you taken the time to watch the Cartoon Network? You will not see Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck any more. But you will see violence, violence, and more violence. Not to mention the Video games that so many kids spend hours watching. As Christians, we had better pay more attention to the education of our young. Others are vying for the job with their own kind of education.
2. THE PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM. As a young boy being brought up in the Public School System, things were different. Our school day began with the teacher reading a verse of Scripture, we would then recite The Lord’s Prayer, and pledge allegiance to the Flag. All of this has been ruled unconstitutional by the liberal courts. Humanist doctrines have eroded the foundation of the Public School System. Evolution is taught, and Creationism is not allowed. Even the thought of “Intelligent Design” has been denied access to the school system. Now, the schools have become war zones. Police have to patrol that once tranquil scene. A Wise man of our day said, “The State has gradually taken over control of the schools. The Bible, prayer, and Christianity have been ruled out of the classroom. The State controlled school is committed to the position of Practical Atheism. “Dr. A.A. Hodge made a prophesy. He said, “The United States system of education will become the most efficient and widely used instrument for the propagation of atheism the world has ever known. You cannot deny that the State has taken control of the so called Public School. You cannot deny that the Bible, prayer, and Christianity have been ruled out of the textbook and classroom. The religion of the non-Christian school system is Secular Humanism. Do not be deceived for a minute, Secular Humanism is a religion.” Satanic forces have worked overtime in destroying the Public School. I thank God for every Christian School in America. Don’t let the Government get it’s foot in the door of your school. Remember, if the Government offers you something, they want something in return.
Many American homes have adopted the system of Home Schooling. God bless every one of you. I know that the sacrifices are great, but the results of the Christian School, and the Home School will be worth it all.
3. THE GOVERNMENT.
I praise God for the founding Fathers of this great Nation. They took great care to consult the Law of God. Their references to God, and The Bible (KJV) are recorded in history. George Washington said, “It is impossible to govern without the Bible.” In the beginning, great Law schools were established. These Law Schools produced great minds. While in school, law students had to memorize great portions of the Old Testament Law. This influence is seen in the great legislation passed in those days. This has been replaced by Secular Humanism. Extreme liberal Judges who make Law from the Bench instead of interpreting Law, have become law unto themselves..God has been ruled out of the Home, the School, and the Government. The Law of God cannot be posted in the courts of the land. Volumes could be written on each of these subjects. We can only begin to touch the surface. Foundations are being destroyed today. I haven’t even mentioned the APOSTASY that has so spread through denominations today.
“If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?” If the Bible asks a question, the Bible answers that question. Christians are the Righteousness of God, (2Cor 5:21). So what can we do? “He that is unjust, let him be unjust still, and he which is filthy, let him be filthy still, AND HE THAT IS RIGHTEOUS, LET HIM BE RIGHTEOUS STILL.” (Rev 22:11). Just keep on living for Jesus. Just keep on living right, doing right. Jesus said, “Ye are the salt of the earth.” Salt keeps back corruption. Satan is limited as long as the Church of the Living God is here. Keep right on sprinkling salt everywhere you go. Today, my Faith in Christ is stronger than ever. My trust in His Word (KJV) grows stronger every day. I refuse to be discouraged. I am on the winning side. With every prayer, every witness, every soul won to Christ, we are maintaining and rebuilding the foundations Satan has tried to destroy. I have read the last Chapter of the Great Book of God. I know how this all ends up. May God bless you. May God bless us together as we strive together to make a difference in our generation. OUR FOUNDATION CANNOT BE DESTROYED. ” Other foundation can no man lay that that is laid which is Jesus Christ.”(1Cor 3:11).
THE BEAUTIES OF CHRIST
By Pastor George Mills
‘My heart is inditing a good matter. I speak of the things which I have made touching the King. My tongue is the pen of a ready writer. Thou art fairer than the children of men. Grace is poured into Thy lips, therefore God hath blessed thee for ever. Gird Thy sword upon Thy thigh, O mist Mighty, with Thy Glory and Thy Majesty. And in Thy Majesty ride prosperously because of Truth and Meekness and Righteousness, and Thy right hand shall teach thee terrible things. Thine arrows are sharp in the heart of the king?s enemies, whereby the people fall under thee. Thy Throne, O God is for and ever, the scepter of Thy kingdom is a right scepter. Thou lovest Righteousness and hatest wickedness, therefore God, Thy God hath anointed Thee with the oil of gladness above Thy fellows. All Thy Garments smell of myrrh, and aloes, and cassia, out of the Ivory Palaces whereby they have made thee Glad.” (Psa 45:1-8)
“His SPEECH is Graceful.
His GLORY is Majestic.
His REIGN is in Righteousness.
His SCEPTER is Right.
His GARMENTS are Royal.
His POWER is Mighty.
His ARMY is innumerable.
His MARCH is unstoppable.”
WE WISH FOR EACH OF YOU A VERY PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR.
MAY THIS NEW YEAR, 2006, PROVE TO BE OUR GREATEST. MAY WE REACH MORE THAN EVER. GOD BLESS YOU, AND WE THANK YOU!
THE BEAUTIES OF CHRIST
By Pastor George Mills
Who is He who rides so grand,
With Sword gird at His side,
Whose Truth proclaimed through all the land,
Whom kings of earth deride?
Who is He with speech of Grace,
With fragrant garments rare,
With Radiant Glory in His Face,
His Throne beyond compare?
Who is He who rules so grand,
Through all His vast domain?
With Golden Scepter in His hand,
His Kingdom will remain.
Who in Majesty does ride,
Whose arrows pierce the heart?
And with His Sword He will divide,
As kingdoms fall apart.
Myrrh and aloes speak of Love,
Cassia, His balm,
From Ivory Palaces above,
He came to bring us calm.
Who is this King, with girded Sword,
Whose lips with Grace are poured?
This is Christ, the Living Word,
Christ, the Living Lord.
THY GARMENTS SMELL OF MYRRH, AND ALOES, AND CASSIA.
Cassia was a healing ointment. We are reminded that with every step Christ took, He healed. There is a greater healing than the healing of this body. Christ did not have to suffer the pain of Calvary in order to heal. There is a greater healing. SIN is the problem, Christ is the answer.